Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What exactly happens when a father signs away his rights?

My ex is wanting to lower his c/s. He is working a low paying job and just had another child. Someone suggested that I should send him a letter through the courts stating that I will agree to him paying nothing if he signs away his rights. My DH is willing to adopt. He does nothing to provide for my child other than c/s. My child doesn't even have clothes at his house. She wears his gf's daughters clothes. He only sees her everyother week. He never does anything special. She barely even get a birthday party from him.

What happens if he signs it? What happens if he refuses?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • he is no longer responsible for the child in any way nor does he have any right to be apart of the child's life in any way shape or form.

    Unless your ex is comfortable with never seeing his child again it's unlikely he'll give up rights. The best interest of the child is also taken into account.

    Answer by kayslay at 8:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • He needs to face it and get another job. Signing away rights is the wrong road unless he does not want anything to do with his child. Still though he needs to take responsiblity for all his kids!

    Answer by momavanessa at 8:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • it's like he never had the child. he doesn't have rights,he can't see the child,and he doesn't have to pay child support. if he refuses you can take him to court or continue to let her see him every other weekend.

    Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • A judge has to approve of him terminating his parental rights since he is seeing her EOW then it will not be approved. C/C has nothing to with visitation you can not find him unfit for not paying C/S and even though she is wearing the other girls clothes she is still wearing clothes.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 10:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • Signing over rights is serious business and everyone will advise you against it because, as a judge told me, "what happens if he wins the lottery? Your child gets nothing." He will then have no visitation rights, no child support to be owed to you. Nothing. Think long and hard about it. If you are financially stable enough i say go for it especially if he just a half-ass father. He will have absolutely no rights to her what-so-ever, he also will no longer be able to claim her on his taxes. i say do it if you feel comfortable enough with it. Any male can be a father, it takes someone special to be a dad :)

    Answer by lashes325 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.