Depressed about breast feeding

I been breast feeding for almost 3 weeks now and when i pump my breast it  seems like i am  making less. Can that be? I was told to pump my breast to make more milk on demand but  i now only get 2 or 1 ounce of milk every 2 hours from my breast. i use to make more. could i be running out somehow?

lifeisgreatbut.

Asked by lifeisgreatbut. at 8:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, your body produces enough for 3 babies for the first few weeks! You will feel less full, but you will still be making plenty for your baby as long as you always feed on demand and do not supplement.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would say breastfeed as often as baby wants. Offer the breast to baby alot. Contact the La Leche League. They are helpful.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My doctor suggested breastfeeding on demand to establish breastfeeding and keep up your supply for about the first three months. Not being so full all of the time is a good thing! You'll be making enough milk most likely (unless baby's doctor says baby is not thriving), but you won't have sore engorged breasts. Don't supplement thinking you have a low supply because that will decrease your supply. If you are worried, contact La Leche League or your baby's doctor for reassurance.
    wutluviz

Answer by wutluviz at 8:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• you can also always pump your breast makes enough to keep up with the demands of your baby. if you feel like you are not producing enough you can always pump and that will help your breast produce more and plus you will have a supply of breast milk ready just incase in the future you have to leave be away from the house and do not wish to breast feed in public. plus any other questions the la leche league is a great place to call and find out all you need to know.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 8:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• and to get your local la leche league phone number i am pretty sure you can contact your local hospital and they can give you the number
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 8:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• How much you can pump has nothing to do with your supply. When you are exclusively breastfeeding you are not supposed to be able to pump out any "extra"! The amounts you are pumping are totally normal. Put away that pump and just breastfeed your baby on demand. You are doing great!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• This is what helped me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The fact that you are getting that much out every 2 hours is pretty good!! Your body is adjusting itself to the demands of your baby, so it's normal to lose that full feeling after a couple weeks. Also, as someone else said, the amount you pump out has no bearings on how much your baby is getting. I have been EBF my son for 6 1/2 months now and pumping sometimes doesn't produce anything. But I know he's getting what he needs - he is 22lbs at 6 months old (and not really digging the baby food yet!)!
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 12:24 AM on Feb. 28, 2011