Can you drive a stick shift? If so, who taught you? (How old when you learned?)

It's just something I cant master. I've had many people try to teach me how, but not without a neck brace! -LOL

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• First vehicle I learned to drive was a stick shift. My mom taught me, her theory was everyone should know how to drive a stick bc you never know if one day, you may have to drive someone else's car. I am thankful she taught me
    simplyme01

Answer by simplyme01 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My Dad taught me.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I learned how to drive a big truck with a super ten stick shift in it. and a man I will call "J" hook taught me how to drive.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 8:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes I can and actually prefer a manual. My husband taught me when we were dating.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I was 16 when I learned.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I learned when I was 16. My SO taught me. I still drive a stick, I probably will never have an AT as my main source of transportation ever, MT is too fun
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No. My bio father tried to teach me, but he shifted (not the best way)..and my first fiance had me practice in his truck. I never really learned, even though I did drive it well. Once. haha.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 8:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I can but its been a while...I learned at 16 when Iwas given a car that was stick and I eitherl earned or did not get it...it was not fancy but I wanted to drive! Lol
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes. my driver's ed teacher in 10th grade.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes I do and I love stick shift I had a 96 mustang and ran a red light I down shifted and made it but a cop happened to see this and pulled me over and gave me a ticket I think he would have let me go but since I was driving a stick sports car he just had to give me one :( Anyway as far as learning stick it all about coordination as you apply the clutch to free the gear you slowly ease off the clutch but at the same time you slowly ease up on the gas pedal as you pick up speed you apply the clutch and shift to second while giving it gas and so on and so on. Once you've mastered it you'll love it atleast I do I'll drive either it doesn't bother me any. Remember coordination GL and have fun ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011