Family vacations

We are planning for our first fam vacation and my kids will be 3,6 and 8 when we plan to go in oct.

it was suppose to just be me,my SO and our kids. NOW he wants his sister and her two kids to go and its not really what I had in mind.

I was just curious if I am being overly irritable and if you guys are open to extended vacations with family?

A little back ground is I really don 't like his sister...she complicates everything. Then her 7yr old son pounts nonstop even when he is doing fun stuff and I just want to enjoy this trip with minimal complications with my kids:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Travel

• No it kind of irritates me too. Our last vacation in 2006 (where we conceived our son, hehe), we spent about a week just the two of us, then had to meet up with his family for camping. I really didn't want to do that, but at least it wasn't the entire trip.

You still have a few months to plan. Talk it over with him and maybe try to get him to at least a compromise. Part of the vacation with just you 5 as a family and then maybe your SIL and her kids can join in later.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We did one extended family vacation with my brother and his kids. I loved it but it would have been more difficult if the family dynamics had been different
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• We go on about 3 vacas a year; 1 is just us: DS, DH, and myself. BUT we do go on 2 vacations that are with extended family andusually on those vacas everyone does their own thing but one night we ALL spend it together. We have fun, there are certain ppl we will not go on vacation with, though.

Don't be afraid to voice your opinion but make sure you give the reasons (and sometimes specific examples) why you don't want to go with his sis and her kid.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 1:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm with you a family vacation is for the entire family not mother father brother sister. Let her take her own. I would tell my husband that you really thought it was going to be your family and that you would like it to be that way and if he gets mad ask him why does she need to go anyway.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011