What can I take to increase my milk supply?

Ok, so I'm starting to freak out that my supply is starting to drop. I have started Weight Watchers and I am eating a healthy diet with lots of water, veggies, and dairy and protein. However, I notice that lately she hardly ever seems satisfied. She also seems frustrated as if she isn't getting enough milk during her feeds. What supplements can I take to start seeing my supply go up again quickly. I don't want to stop nursing her. :(
Please help.

Also, if I do take a supplement for my milk supply, would I have to take it until she stops nursing?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 8:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would like to know the same thing since I dried up with my second although I am pretty sure I know why I did, but I wan to try to make sure it doesn't this time when I have the baby in Augest
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Try eating oatmeal. You can also try using Mother's Milk tea. If all else fails, fenugreek is an herbal supplement that can make a huge difference. I'd try the first two first. You may need to continue use until you finish breastfeeding, but once she starts solids, you'll eventually (and slowly) need less and less milk anyway. Make sure your breast is draining from the feeding, and even try pumping after she nurses to try to keep things going. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Fenugreek. Also, you can eat rudabegas (I think I may have spelled that wrong) and some say a beer a day. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I used to go to my local Iranian resturaunt and order ghormeh sabzi (not sure wwhether I spelled it correctly or not) . . . . it is yummy yummy and made from fenugreek.. the next day, I was always engorged with tons of milk . . . you can get it vegetarian or with meat. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Fenugreek. I just bought a big bag. Apparently you need a lot to increase supply. I bought the seeds that way i can either put them in capsules or tea bags.
    BrookeKRod

Answer by BrookeKRod at 9:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• You don't need to take any supplements, and this has nothing to do with your diet. It is likely a growth spurt. As long as you continue to nurse on demand, and let your DD nurse as frequently and as long as she wants to, SHE will make sure that you have enough milk. She is probably going through a growth spurt right now.
    The ONLY sign that your milk supply is not enough is baby stops having at least 5-6 wet diapers a day and starts losing weight. How baby acts and how your breasts "feel" has NOTHING to do with milk supply. Baby can also be fussy for a totally different reason, like teething.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If you are getting 6+ dipes per 24 hours then you are both fine. It's a growth spurt.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I completely agree with maggiemom2000. I'd also like to add that there has been no evidence to support the idea that fenugreek or any other substance has the ability to increase your milk supply. Unless your baby's doctor has said that your baby is not thriving, there is no reason to assume that there is anything wrong with your supply. There are times when baby will want to eat more like when her body is trying to protect her from a virus, she is going through a growth spurt, or if she has just been vaccinated. It is completely normal and nothing to worry about. If you do need to increase your supply, you can pump after each feeding to prompt your body to make more, but chances are you are making the perfect amount to keep up with your baby and she is eating more to prompt you to make more as she is growing and needing more milk to thrive.
    wutluviz

Answer by wutluviz at 1:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• "Satisfied" should be considered a dirty word. It's not a baby's business to seem satisfied. You' have an easier time satisfying Simon Cowell with your singing!

Count dipes. As ecodani said, if you're changing enough, supply is dandy.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011