My 16 month has starting acting up in terms of throwing things at me and whining a lot. Help!

Since I' ve been home full time about a month ago, things have obviously changed. Within the past few days, my son has seems to get mad pretty easily and has started throwing things, pulling my hair, walking around whining, and just being all around naughty. Is this normal? When do I start to give him time outs?

Thanks Moms!

thregis2002

Asked by thregis2002 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "The nanny " tv show is the perfect role model for us as mothers! I think time out starts when the bad behavior starts! If he is allowed to continue this you will be enabling him to act out! But make sure you let him know what a good boy he is when he behaves to teach him that is the preferred behavior. :) You have to start early in life to mold a MAN some lucky lady can say his momma raised him right!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 10:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Your not alone. My sweet little 16mo old boy just started acting really different too. I actually don't know what the answer is, other than being consistent in my response to his actions.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 10:42 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son is 16 months old and when he throws a temper tantrum like that Like throwing things I spank his hand and put him on the ground and demand that he pick up what he just threw down and if doesnt he gets his hand spanked again a little harder and I repeat this process over and over till he picks it up and what it shows is that he cannot throw something at me without suffering the natural consequences of picking it up and being popped for throwing it in the first place.

I would not tolerate a baby hitting me or pulling my hair , Next time he pulls your hair pull his hair slightly but just enough to allow him to understand that it hurts you and he wouldnt want you causing the same pain on him.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Hitting you, now obviously I wouldnt do the same to him but Next time he hits you or tries to I would pull his little pants down and give hima good whack on his little thigh. Trust me hard and firm enough he will get the picture. Your hand is you its your love coming from it.

Doing this once or twice out of love and reassuring him after he cries and feels bad that you love him with all your heart and if You choose to not discipline him you are setting him up for failure. Always let him know what you love about him and not worrying about the bad stuff.

My son hardly acts up but still runs and around and plays but he knows when to listen and when To behave
    .
    UAFwife

• Thanks ladies. I'm a first time mom and I think I second guess myself a lot. It just kinda sucks when his dad comes home and he acts nice. I keep thinking to myself, "am I not doing something right?" He has a lot of energy and wants to be moving constantly. I will try some of your suggestions and see how it goes. I don't want that kid who won't get invited to other people's houses because he's a brat, you know? Thanks again.
    thregis2002

Answer by thregis2002 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• well My son use to do that to me.. Acted whiny and bratty, not wanting to eat or would throw things kinda of stuff... and when daddy walked in acted like an angel.. But his daddy was much more firm with him earlier in his life like at a year.. where I now have put my foot down at 16 months. Give him three days of you being obidient to disciplining and he'll give up his bad habits soon enough for you not just when daddy is around.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 8:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008