Nicknaming your child

My son has an extremely common first name and now it is starting to drive me insane how everytime someone asks what his name is, they always say "Ohh thats my cousin's baby's name" or "oh thats my neighbor's kid's name". It NEVER fails. I wish I would've researched it more before he was born but...it is what it is. My question is...what do you all think of nicknames? My son will be 2 in March and him and my DH have the same middle name of Dean so I was thinking of starting to nickname him DJ. I also wanted to do this so when he's in school, he's not frustrated that so many other kids have the same first name. Do you all think I'm crazy for wanting to do this??

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Baby Names

• How does he feel about it?
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• He who? My husband would not have a problem with it...he'd probably love the idea of him being "DJ" short for "Dean Jr" since my husband goes by Dean. My son is only almost 2, he wouldn't really have an opinion at his age.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I saw his age and I still don't know why I asked that!!! :) DJ is cute and he's still young enough for you to start calling him that. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No.
    Listen... When I was in school, there were 4 girls named Danielle in my class. I was in a class of 32 students. Talk about confusion!
    If he's got a common name and you want to call him DJ to ease confusion, go for it.
    Hey... If you want to call him DJ just because you want to call him DJ, go for it. ;-)
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the positive feedback :) I feel like I'll have a whole different child by calling him something different but I think in the long run, it'll be a good choice.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I say go for it! I don't ever call my son by his name and he has a unique name. Everyone knows him by his nickname and not his real name.
    Javionsmommy112

Answer by Javionsmommy112 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• go for it! super cute and btw i ADORE the name Dean. Even if you wanted to you could have him just go by Dean... I went to hs with a guy who went by Cody (his middle name) and first name is Jacob
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I love DJ that is cute :)
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 11:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• DJ is adorable for Dean Jr. and you dont have to start out by calling him DJ all the time.. when you take him new places or he is introduced to new people/groups of people you can say this is DJ :) maybe it will be easier to adjust(: good luck!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I say go for it. My name's Kayla and when I was in high school, there were about 30 other Kayla's just in my graduating class, who knows how many were in the entire school. People called me Kay and Reggie (my middle name's Regina). My daughter's name is Scarlett Abigail but we call her Abby for short. We couldn't think of any nicknames for Scarlett at the time and we love the nickname Abby, so that kind of stuck. My daughter's two now and responds to Abby, so we can't change her name. I'm sure she won't be the only Abby in her class, but oh well.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 28, 2011