Would you be irritated if someone really messed up a kichen you cleaned up?*edit*

I am currently living in my mother in laws house while my husband and I are in transition. By no means is this permanent. Right now 8 people are living in this house.

I'm trying to help out as much as I can (cleaning, cooking ect) Tonight, I did dishes that were piled up all the way to water spout on the sink. I wiped counters and everything.

Well my SIL has a 17 year old son that decided to make eggs for himself and his friend at 930 pm...I just walked into the kitchen cheese, vegetable trimmings, plastic wrappings, all over the counters....the kitchen is a complete mess.

I find myself getting frustrated because right now SIL and I are the only ones cleaning the kitchen and within a couple of hours it is a complete mess. Noone is putting food up where it belongs, keeping trash on the counters, not wiping up spills. It is really frustrating.

My husband is telling me I just need to accept it...but is it really so hard in a house of 8 people for 6 full grown adults to keep up with their messes?

*and I m fully aware this isn't my house.....I just can't imagine how frustrated my SIL and MIL were before I started helping*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Sorry to say but if you keep cleaning they will keep messing. Don't think it is your job and you won't be so upset when they mess it up. Just clean up after yourself and remember this too shall pass. Have a glass of wine and relax :)
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• He is 17...he is a big boy now and if he can cook, he can clean up after himself.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• See, one of my... faults?... is I just wouldn't be able to stand by while this went down. I mean, they may be in laws, but are you not a part of the family? Yes. So why should you just have to accept it? Good grief, if you wanted to clean up after pigs you'd have a hog farm, right?

You could just kindly mention to whomever is making the mess that it sure would be nice if they would tidy up some after they've been in the kitchen. After all, you and SIL work hard to try to keep the place nice. There are 8 people, and 6 of them could pitch in now and then.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• hey pass that wine this way lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would be mad if I cleaned and another adult came into the kitchen, messed it up and didn't clean up.
    Onmyown2727

Answer by Onmyown2727 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Hell yea!
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• This is my life. I clean up after piggy adults. So yes, it annoys the hell out of me and is a pain in the ass, but since God forbid I like a CLEAN kitchen, I'm stuck with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• the kid is 17, I would have told him to clean up his mess. Thats old enough to know better and no one in that house should be picking up after him.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011