Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

27 Bumps

Help: I'm a pregnant with my frist child in acs (cps) threanting to take my child what to do

I have been going to the same, hospital that I was born in. every blood test i ever took was taking there, so i didn't think i should have gone to a different hospital for prenatal care. I don't know who told acs (cps) about my disability, but they interview me at the hospital. The women told me that due to my m.r they can not have a child in my care, and she will be going to get a court order. I told her she can be assure the baby would be happy and best taking care of. by me and my husband ( son father). She ask was my husband also mentally retarded, i told him we have the same disability. She also told me that record shows that my baby tested positive for down syndrome and that is also why i think someone form the hospital called on me because i didn't tell nobody that not even my own mother. I told her those test are not 100% and i will have to wait in see. She came a few days later too my home, to see how it looked. she said it was clean but the baby can't be with us because it's down syndrome is probably going to be severe because of our disability, and would need specialize care form doctors 24/7 and we couldn't provide that. I don't understand how can she say that.

1. we live in a 3 bedroom apartment ( owned not rent, hard earn savings)
2. we both have jobs husband janitor and me home health aide
3. high school diploma ( same school)
4. no drug or booze use
5. no smoking
6. I'm in college for acting part time ( now I'm off due to break)
7. I'm and husband are only 20 years old.
8. I am a former foster child
9. I have never missed a doctor appointment and I'm 7 months
10. me and dh have savings to help.
11. we did parenting classes before this came up.
12. were in new york cps here is called acs

I was thinking i should have my baby at another medical center but i don't know is that safe because of the fact he may be born with down syndrome.
and i have concern of would they be prepare.

on Monday i will be going to my local family court to speak to someone, can i have some more advice.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

This question is closed.
Answers (40)
  • I didi some looking about this situation and here is what I found: " DISCRIMINATORY TREATMENT
    Physical disabilities (e.g., a parent’s blindness or physical incapacitation) are frequently joined with cognitive or developmental disabilities in discussions about child welfare system interventions. Laws that prevent people with disabilities from serving as parents have long ago disappeared. For example, the state can no longer arbitrarily sterilize the developmentally disabled. Courts, in general, have determined that the right to marry, establish a home, and raise children is protected by the 5th and 14th amendments to the Constitution of the United States.
    So I would tell that cps person to kiss your ass and tell her "You violated my constitutional rights, and I will see you in court" . This worker might want to step and examine her own attitudes and assumptions about people with disabilities. Good luck

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • do either of you have family members who can help you in this? who can go to any kind of hearings with you, or help you research your rights?

    I looked up some Mental Retardation advocacy groups for you, try calling them and see if they can help you or help you find someone who can.

    Southern Tier Independence Center: (607) 724-2111

    Self Advocacy of New York State (518) 382-145

    from what I can see the state cannot take away your parental rights just because of your condition, but get some help to challenge ACS. I wish you and your family luck, you sound like you are responsible people who would make loving parents.

    Answer by autodidact at 2:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

  • what is your disability? You sound level headed to me but sounds like you may have a battle:( you guys are hard working...have more than many others so I hope you can fight this! FIGHT with all your might...research your rightbefore the baby is born....

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • Going to the family court is the best step you can take right now.
    I guess I never in my days thought parents with mental retardation would be put in such a situation where they would just threaten to come take your baby away.
    My heart breaks for you, and I hope things work out for you.

    Answer by SpaceToast at 10:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • sorry for my ignorance but what is m.r.? sounds like you are stable and able to provide for you baby i dont understand how they can do that. i mean if you didnt have a place to live or were on drugs or something like that but you and your husband have good jobs and own a place. just because a baby tests for downs doesnt always mean that they will. and how in the world does cps think they are an expert on downs? are they a doctor? there are plenty of people that have many different disabilities that have children. people with MS, are paralized, and many more how can they say you are unfit? its cases like these that make cps look bad. something i wonder if they arent more concern over taking a child away then keeping a family together.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • if you do have to fight, call your local news channel. they should do some investigating for you, get it on the air, and other people could see it and may help you out as well. we have on here that investigates things around the area that doesn't seem or isn't right and they try to get to the bottom of normally works. one i can remember is the city wasn't using the electronic traffic signs (we have alot) to give us the info we needed when necessary, and they started investigating, got it all over the news, and now i haven't seen a traffic sign not being used to this day. they've done investigations for people too, but none that i can remember. i don't watch the news that often lol. gl

    Answer by armywife43 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • wow i'm so sorry you're going through this, i wish i could help but i'll bump this for you so maybe someone can! i can't believe it...

    Answer by armywife43 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

  • You write and speak better than most people in here. It appears to me that you can fight CPS. They're a bunch of bullies. Get a lawyer, a good lawyer, and fight them hard. Good Luck!

    Answer by ambr2006 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

  • That is illegal. They cannot discriminate against you this way for having a disability. Can you get a lawyer? I would consider starting a letter writing campaign to your city mayor, to the state representative for your area and and your state governor. I would contact American civil liberties immediately. and see if there are any support groups in your area for people in your situation where you can find more resources.


    Answer by Satiblue at 6:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

  • Definitely get a lawyer and get some help to fight this. Do not have any further contact with ACS, do not speak to them, do not allow them into your home, and if they contact you, refer them to your lawyer. Get statements from your employer and your DH's employer as to your credibility and ability to work, and get statements from family and friends. Prove that you have a support system, and show them that you're not going to give up without a fight.

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:00 PM on Feb. 27, 2011