Potty training

im haveing trouble with my 3 year old he knowes how to go poop and pee in the potty but he still needs the training pants cause he refuses to tell u when he needs to go we have an award system for useing the potty but he just dont seem to be interested in it is there anything we can do any opinions?

SundayRose2011

Asked by SundayRose2011 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Watch him. You should be able to see signs of when he needs to go. Take him every 30 minutes until he starts making the effort to go himself.

Keep a potty in the room you are in. Stop trying to make it to the big potty in the other room. Make it more accessible. Use the potty for a chair to watch a favorite cartoon in.

Does it bother him when pee runs down his legs? If so, take away the training pants. It will prompt him to move to the potty faster.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I'd avoid making an issue of it and just keep him in diapers until he wants to use the potty or toilet regularly. Explain that "this is just until you're ready to tell me when you need to go potty". Don't push too hard, don't be angry with him. Just wait until he's ready. Sometimes kids' minds are more complicated than you realize and he might just have other things going on right now. He'll learn when he's ready. Don't feel bad. As long as he's trained by the time he's five, he'll be fine. Do this and he'll probably decide pretty soon that diapers are just uncomfortable and he'll find his own enthusiasm for potty training, instead of you having to provide all the momentum!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I have similar issues with my youngest child. I really don't think it's something you can (or should) force or punish for if they have an accident. A reward system only works if the child is interested, if not there's not really anything more you can do except ask them if they need to go potty or have them sit on the toilet once an hour (at least until you get to know his potty cycle a bit better in which case ask then). Dont' sit them on the toilet until they go because it will associate negatively for them. My eldest was similar. She was ptooy trained early (21 months) and when her sister came she reerted and didn't use the toilet again until she was almost 4. Once she decided she wanted to use the toilet she did and that was the end of it. We've had maybe 2 accidents since.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2011