If a family is on welfare or other types of public assistance...and they own flat screen tv's, big expensive suv's (they are making payments on monthly), cable and other types of luxuries they don't NEED;

mirrordo you think they should get rid of those unnecessary luxuries like getting rid of cable, flat screen, and trade in the big suv for a cheap car Before getting public assistance ? i think they should. what are your thoughts ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• So if I had a good job and got a flat screen tv, nice cellphone, designer purse, and whatnot, then lost my job, I should have to sell every nice thing if I happened to need PA?

Cable and the expensive vehicle, yeah, I could see downgrading those things, but just because people fall on hard times doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to have nice things.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No, I can't make someone elses decisions for them.  And it's not my business. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If they had it before they got on PA its not like they have to get rid of it just bc they had a down fall. but if they got it after. then I really dont see it right, bc if you have the money to get new and nice things then why do you need to be on PA??
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I don't like to judge others. You never know what another persons life is like.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• canofworms

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• popcorn

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I defintely think someone should not be spending money on big flat screens, cable or other luxuries that are not necessary if they can't afford the basics without PA. As for the vehicle, I think in some circumstances that is necessary for a job, or just to have the peace of mind that they can have a realiable vehicle.... Anything besides that as in internet, cable, flat screen, game systems....are all think I don't feel that have a right to if they're using public assistance!
    alaiynasmommy

Answer by alaiynasmommy at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Nanixh- Nicely said!!! You never know anyones circumstances

jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think some things should be cut out, like cable for example. It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade in an expensive car or suv depending on the situation. If they're upside down they could end up in worse shape. As far as buying, they should cut out anything that's not necessary. As for me personally, I'm on food stamps and I also bought a new car last summer. I did some figuring and found that the repair and gas bill on my old car was more than what a new and more efficent car would cost. I didn't buy something expensive either. Just a little econobox with good gas mileage to get me to and from work. A lot of things are situational though.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 11:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I AGREE.... DO NOT LIVE OUTSIDE YOUR MEANS! If you are going in debt, or cannot afford your lifestyle then sell it! You will quickly get back on your feet & be able to get what is truely yours..
    If everyone would try to tough it out on their own, amazing things could happen to the ones WHO NEEEEEEDDD assistance!
    If you own a big tv, its also raising your electricity bill.. If you have a big nice car, you have a big nice insurance bill & gas bill..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011