Would you say something...

I watch my cousin's little girl. They pay me $10 a day. I also run an in-home daycare and my regular parents pay $25 day. I do not mind helping family out. Her and her husband have been married a little over two year. They got pregnant and then got married. He finished college and has a full time job. She is going to school full time and finishes up at the end of the next fall semester. Money is really tight and they do receive some assistance (which I am not bashing, we have received assistance in the past as well to get back on our feet). Anyway, they are good parents, working hard to make things better, not abusing the system. I definitely don't mind helping the out. My cousin just asked me today if I would watch their daughter while they go on a cruise (she would pay me). And then talking more it came out that they go on date nights twice a month. I was kind of in shock. It made me feel like I should ask them for more money for childcare if they can afford these things. Even if it was just another $5 a day. Yes, they are family and I again I don't mind helping, but their daughter is also taking a spot in my daycare where I could have a fully paying child. Would you say something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, never mix family and business. you are running a business and every body pays to get the services. Just be nice about it.
    its5somewhere

Answer by its5somewhere at 11:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would say something.

Are they still on PA? If so, how can they afford a cruise?

I would just tell them that you need to start charging them regular price in x months. That way they are prepared for it or they can find other arrangements.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Yes, you need to tell them that they need to pay more. Sounds like they are taking advantage of you - maybe subconciously, but still.
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 11:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I would say something.. Date nights arent bad but how can they afford a cruise??
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I know they get food stamps and liheap (help for the electric bill), wic, as well as food from a food back but I do believe that they no longer get welfare. Her husband got a better job about 6 months ago and it stopped then but they still qualified for the other things. They looked into getting childcare assistance so I could get paid that way and didn't qualify since she does not work 20 hours a week.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• This is their first cruise, they have never gone away before. They didn't have a honeymoon.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies. You just affirmed what I know I need to do :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2011