Stupid question, is this a contraction?

I feel dumb asking because I have one child already, but I didn't have any braxton hicks and I was induced, so I never really felt contractions without medication with her. My whole stomach feels really tight, it is hard like a rock when I'm standing, but not quite as hard when I'm sitting, and it hurts. If it is a contraction it'd be braxton hicks, so I'm not worried, I'm just wondering. Does that sound like a contraction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• How do you know it would just be Braxton Hicks babe?  Women go into labor all the time before they are actually due.  Also, yes it sounds like a contraction.  But it's painful and Braxton Hicks are not so I'd get with someone who can evaluate you and give you peace of mind on whats going on.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Could indigestion cause tightening of the abdomen? I have really bad heartburn right now as well, so I'm wondering if that's why. I don't think it's preterm labor because they are not rhythmic and from what I've read Braxton Hicks can be painful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Sounds like BH to me. It's like a tightening of the stomach...not really painful, but annoying and sometimes mildly uncomfortable. They're not consistent usually. Just try to drink water, make sure you don't have to pee, and put your feet up.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 11:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• first of all the only stupid questions are the ones not asked, im currently pregnate with my third and feel like i forgot about most everything even though i have already done this twice but to answer your question, braxton hicks can be painful its like my grandma always said every pregnancy is different just like every baby is different. Try drinking a glass of cold water and laying on your left side if it is braxton hicks it should help also keep track of how often they are occuring, if in doubt call your doctor they will know whats best:) good luck and congrats!
    Ladybug86

Answer by Ladybug86 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Sounds like BH
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2011