How many words is an 18 month old suppose to be using?

my 18 month old is mainly just saying mama and dada and uh ho and then he has his sounds like ah and oo. i don't know how many he should be able to say. his older sibling is autistic and didn't say much more then my 18 month is saying now so i'm kinda worried. he has a well baby check up in about a week or so and i'm gonna ask them about it and all that but i need to get info now cause i don't want to delay getting him help like we did his sibling (we didn't want to believe there was anything wrong with him so we kept trying and it kills me and i wish we had gotten help for him earlier. simple question turned long. so how many words should my 18 month old be able to speak?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 18 month old says mama/daddy hi, bye, bath and yeah. he CAN say other words, but he doesnt want to a lot of the time.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• There's so much individual variation in speech at that age, I seriously doubt you'll get a decent answer. My now-16 yr old hardly spoke until she was nearly three and she's a healthy, smart, bubbly teen now. Some babies are talking heaps by 18 months. The ones that don't say much are busy listening! :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My daughter started speaking in sentences at 18 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• ur gonna get a whole lot of different answers here but just bring it up at your appt gl mommax
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011