My daughter is 10 months old and is refusing to drink! How can I get her to drink more??

She will get about 5-6 ounces of formula down a day but thats it, i can get her to take maybe a sip of juice or water but that is pretty much only if I pour it into her mouth. She eats her fruits and solid foods fine but is also beginning to lack on the Gerber stage 3 meats and veggies. I am mostly concerned about the amount of fluids she is getting in. She seems to take 1-2 ounces at a time and that is it. She still takes it from her bottle but does not really like a sippy cup. Should I be concerned that she is only taking in 5-6 ounces of fluid a day? This has probably been happening for about 4 weeks and at first I wasn't too concerned but now I am getting worried its not enough. Any suggestions on how to get her to drink more??

mommy417

Asked by mommy417 at 11:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she showing any signs of not feeling well? When my kids were little and didn't want to drink much it was usually a sign of an ear infection or strep throat.
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 11:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• How many wet diapers does she have per day? If she is wetting at least 6 to 8 diapers per day then she is probably getting enough fluids. When babies take in more solids then the tend to drink less. Also, when they are teething they will suck on the bottle for shorter periods of time because the sucking makes their gums tingle also if she has an ear infection the sucking hurts her ears. If she is wettin enough I would talk to her doctor. And check the soft spot on the top of her head. If it is sucken in, then she is probably dehydrated and your doctor needs to be notified. You can always resort to popsicles. Hope this helps..Good Luck!
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• She had a fever about a week and a half ago, I took her to the doctor she said she had the beginnign of an ear infection, so she has been on meds for almost 10 days now and is just about done with them. She has been acting normal and no more fever. She developed a little rash today, but I'm thinking that is unrelated since it just showed up today and we took her outside to a park for the first time in awhile.
    mommy417

Comment by mommy417 (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• How's her weight and general demeanour? If she seems well and her pee is not really dark and smelly, she's fine. You just need to relax and trust your baby to decide how much she needs. Lot of parents get anxious, but babies have appetites all their own. They grow and feed all at their own pace. Only fret if she loses weight or seems sickly.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thanks hoping73
    She is still having wet diapers. I can feel the soft spot on the top of her head but honestly not sure if is more sucken in. I can just feel it if i run my finger over top her head. She does not have a tooth yet so was wondering if that had anything to do with it. The popsicles are too cold for her :-( She wouldn't take those either!
    mommy417

Comment by mommy417 (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Thansk judimary!! Her weight is fine, she is 17.5 lbs, she has always been small, I am small so haven't worried about it and her dr. has never shown concern. I have pretty much always gone with motherly instinct and trusted that my little girl would eat when she wants to eat and drink when she wants to drink. She is very happy, smiles and plays all the time! It wasn't until I went to the dr. last week and I got some weird vibes from the doc that made me feel like i was doing something wrong and should be concerned. The doc told me she shoudl be eating 20 ounces a day!! But then the doc did not really give me any suggestions on how to get her to drink mroe. Thats when I freaked out because she is nowhere near that!! I hate trying to force her to eat or drink and have found myself doing that due to what the doc said :-(
    mommy417

Comment by mommy417 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• That's good that she is wetting. The rash is probably roseola..spell check? When an infection is trying to leave the body of a baby or toddler it leaves a splotchy rash on the skin which usually fades in a few days. I have 5 kids and all of them have had issues with ear infections. 4 of them have had tubes and 3 out of the 4 have had them more than once. It's possible that the antibiotic didn't work all the way. I had that trouble where the antibiotics wouldn't work and they had to try something else. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a follow up appt. with the doc to check her ears and voice your concerns about her fluid intake.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2011