My 7 month old has a 102 temp! I don't know what to do!!

I called the on call doc earlier today... he said it sounded viral that I can give her motrin and tylenol together every 6 hours...well I have been and her fever isn't getting any lower than 100 with both meds in her!! she has done nothing but cry all day today, to the point I started balling this is the first time she has been sick and it is awful!!!! She is only drinking about half her fromula to.. I have a humidifier running for her, we are sleeping in the living room so she can sleep in her swing so she doesn't cough so much.. This poor baby, is there anything else I can get her or do for her?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 11:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I thought you had to alternate Motrin and Tylenol? thats what I have always been told. ....back to your question my 10 month has been sick off and on since birth and I have done everything you are doing. Just keep it up and she'll get better soon. I use Saline drops and suction out also. Just dont let the temp go up to high. Might wanna do an accurate rectal temp also

jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Take her to the ER, we had a problem with our dd before she turned 1 and they checked her for a uti. The ER doctor said that it is a very common problem in little girls and causes high fevers that won't go down.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I know it's scary but most of the time fever's are present to fight off infection, it won't hurt for you to just let it run its course and fight the infection, I'm doing that right now with my DS.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• jbond that's what I thought also so I even repeated his instructions to him! lol but that's what he said.. When My son was little he is 6 now one doc would say to alternate them and the other would say to give them together so must be doctors prefferance I guess!.....

How high can the fever go b4 I should take her to the ER? I don't like it being this high! It is down to 99.9 right now but that is with motrin and tylenol together!
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• If her fever gets up to 104 take her to the ER immediately. I would also start alternating the meds. Giving them together smacks of overdose to me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• he said you can give them together because they do not have the same ingrediance in them so there will be no over dose!
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You can give them together, but you do every 4-6 hrs with Tylenol, and every 6-8 with Motrin, so they'll usually be spaced a little bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• has the fever went away yet and not come back? if I were you I'd just bring her in for a check up tomorrow just to be on the safe side. My baby is 10 months and keep running fever last month just like she is. Turned out he had RSV and 2 ear infections on top of that. He cried like that for 2 weeks straight. I was basicly like you almost going crazy because I have a very calm baby that doesnt cry much. Never had a child with an ear infection. I have 3 kids. So I didnt know he had em. But I took him in that Monday after the weekend dealing with all this and he confirmed the ear infections and ran labs to confirm the RSV. Took him about 2 weeks to fully recover. Good luck and I hope it has gotten better since lastnight
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• That's an awful feeling. I would have your little one checked for an ear infection also. I know when my son had a high temp like that, the pediatrician was more concerned about how he acted when the fever was down. He had it for 3-4 days. I've never heard of giving motrin and tylenol at the same time....My pediatrician said we could alternate it....I'd double check on that one. Good luck!
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 3:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• she was in with the doc on friday
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011