We live in Michigan. Do you think it's okay for a children to wear a short-sleeved shirt to school during the winter?

My son wants to wear a short-sleeved shirt to school because that's what he prefers. My husband thinks we will be reported for child abuse for this. (yeah, you heard me)

tastymama

Asked by tastymama at 11:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I live in Mi too. My son hates long sleeves so he goes in short sleeves almost everyday. His teachers have never said anything to me.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 10:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• As long as he has a jacket then I think he will be fine. I don't like to wear long sleeves either.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I live in mich too, and I don't think ya'll get reported for child abuse, although your son may be charged with no common sense.; lol
    Let him wear it. Just make sure he has a warm jacket and hat. Some of the kids especially girls wear next to nothing anyway in the name of fashion.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I'm torn on this. I make my kids wear long sleeves to school everyday during the weather. However, my son keeps reminding me that even though its cold outside, it is pretty warm inside the school. I drive my kids to school and back home everyday so really they are only outside long enough to go from the house/school to the car. I might let him start wearing short sleeves to school. When I really think about it, what's worse.... Making him wear long sleeves and be uncomfortably warm all day at school or let him wear short sleeves and be chilly for just a few minutes while walking to/from the car?
    KristyB

Answer by KristyB at 11:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Well, as long as he's got a nice winter coat on with that t-shirt I don't see why not.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I've always wondered this. But some kids just get hot when they're in a classroom with long sleeved stuff on. Mine does!
    I would hope that nobody would report for something like that, as long as you send them in a good heavy coat and hat and stuff when it's super freezing!
    Maybe put a zip up hoodie underneath his winter coat, so he can wear that in the classroom, and if he gets too hot, then he can take it off in the classroom ONLY.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• What? Don't they have heat in the school in Michigan? LOL.
    I used to try to get my kids to wear long sleeve shirts or sweaters with their uniforms when we lived in Chicago but they all refused because they kept the heat so high they kids were sweating in the classrooms.
    We live in WA now and it's been in the 30s all week and none of the kids even have coats around here. They've all been outside playing in just sweatshirts (even when it snowed the other day). They go to school like that and even go out to recess like that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• My kids wear short sleeved shirts in the winter, we live in KY. I just make sure they wear their winter coats. Remember, they are going to be in school all day long. Some of the classes are kept really warm, and when the kids have P.E., a short sleeved shirt helps to keep them cooler than a long sleeved one.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I live in Michigan and see kids in short sleeves all the time. Especially girls in short sleeve dresses. I think they're crazy but I'm always cold. If he's comfortable let him wear it I really don't think anyone cares.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Send him in in layers. A short sleeve shirt under a sweatshirt, sweater, or hoodie (and of course, a winter coat over that for when he's outside.) Tell him, once he's at school if he's hot he can remove the sweatshirt or hoodie if he needs to but to put it back on if he gets cold. This way the TEACHER should see that he has one at his desk or had one on and then there should be no issues. (explain it this way to your DH)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2011