How do you really potty train a toddler?

My son is 2, will be 3 in April and I have tried every which way to get him to potty train. I have tried rewards, potty dance, etc. but nothing seems to work. He just won't sit on the potty. Everything else was easy to do. When he turned one, I just threw his bottles away and started giving him sippy cups. On his second birthday, I cut all his binkys and threw them away, but on his third birthday I want to start potty training but I am throwing up my white flag at how to do that. I just feel so overwhelmed. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

proudmommy42008

Asked by proudmommy42008 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have 3 sons and all of them were very hard to potty train. They can be very stubborn and also boys bodies tend to take longer to mature enough to be able to control their urine and bowels. Is he showing signs of being ready to potty train..like is he dry when he wakes up from naps and bedtime? Does he tell you when he wets or is dirty? Unfortunately the more you push the more he will resist. I tried potty videos like Once Upon a Potty for Him...It's Potty Time...there are a bunch you can show him as well as books. My boys finally started doing it when I stopped pushing so much. They will eventually go on their own..Good luck!
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• wait till he shows signs of iit being ready and when he is run with it!!!! mostly now if he resist just make it fun...potty books and videos, sittingon the actual potty with no pressure...sticker charts don't really work till they are actively going more from my experience.Get him some underware and let him wearthem feeling the wetness sometimes gives a big push...thats the only way I could potty train my oldest whom is a boy and often boys are just harder! I have 3 and just finished my 3rd! I feel your pain....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He doesnt stay dry when he wakes up but he can tell me when he is going. I have tried the videos and the books but that just seems a waste of time. I don't push I just ask him if he says no then I leave it alone till the next time he asks me what it is. I want to try the underwear thing but I am afraid that someone would report me to cps. In the town I live in so many ppl are getting in trouble with stuff like this that you almost never want to leave ur home or go outside. Am I doing something wrong though?
    proudmommy42008

Comment by proudmommy42008 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son took 2 years to potty train, and we started him at 2. Part of that though were two very large life-changing events that caused him to regress.

My daughter picked it up in next to no time. There was a book that she had that she loved from the time it wound up in my house. DANG! I forget the author now. It the same book but written for boys OR girls, and it's about a kid who's learning to potty. Grr, I can see the pictures in my head and everything but can NOT for the life of me remember the darn book or the author.

*I love google and amazon. The book *we* had was My Big Girl Potty by Joanna Cole. There is also My Big Boy Potty.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The first time we bought the potty he loved it he even USED it, but now its almost a curse that is sitting on the bathroom floor. He acts like its diseased.
    proudmommy42008

Comment by proudmommy42008 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• have you tried by you sitting on toilet and him sitting on potty chair. or every 15 minutes you get excited and say lets go potty and also sometimes we try to hard and we can just let him figure it out they will eventually get it some just take longer than others.i hope this helps good luck and god bless you
    amos750

Answer by amos750 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Amos, unfortunately yes. Should I try more?
    proudmommy42008

Comment by proudmommy42008 (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Wait until he is ready. My 2.5 year old now tells me when she poops, and she feels the sensation of urine coming out of her body. Those are signs that SHE is ready. She sits on the toilet a couple of times per day, but we won't begin actual potty training until AFTER our vacation.

Screw that "every 15 minutes" crap. Do YOU go to the bathroom every 15 minutes?? Why would you insist your kid do that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• good suggestion amos!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 27, 2011