Bush extending unemployment benifits?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081120/ap_on_go_pr_wh/jobless_benefits

Any thoughts? Do you think it will do more harm then good? Add to the national debt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I just go an extension letter. Personally, that is all I have to pay for me and my son right now and I know I have paid plenty of taxes so - no guilt here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am the OP
    I forget to put down that I think it is good, with the unemployment rate going up it's much needed. The local unemployment rate is 7.5 so anyone looking for a job here is going to have to work there butt of to get one. If my SO didnt find a job recently then we would have had to move out of the area away from our family.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think that it is wonderful because my husband might have to use those benefits in the next few weeks. if they extend the benefits then it gives time to those who are on it to find a decent job and since jobs are scares right now it gives them time to find a job.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:26 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i think it is funny how repubs cry about "obama's hand outs" which is just tax returns to hard working middle class while at the same time they celebrate these hand outs to the unemployed. i am happy if you need the money and get the money... i support the money to those who really need it... but isnt that what welfare is for?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• To the first anonymous poster, do you actually know how unemployment taxes work? Because you said you paid plenty of taxes so you don't feel guilty about collecting the benefits. Unemployment taxes are paid directly by employers, not employees. There are no unemployment taxes withheld from employee paychecks.

Employers pay .8% of the first $7,000 of each of their employees' wages - that equates to $56 per employee- for Federal unemployment taxes. The amount they pay for state unemployment taxes depends on a variety of factors. My employer currently pays .2% of the first $9,000 of each employees' wages - that equates to $18 per employee- to the state.

So do you think your employer paying a combined $74/yr in unemployment taxes for you covers what you collect for extended periods of time?
    22hockeymom22

Answer by 22hockeymom22 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• FICA directly contributes to unemployment, as well as other things. Man, I ran an HR department, both the employee and the employer pay for unemployment tax.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Fiveofakind2, you are correct; both employee and employer contribute to FICA and its funds benefit the disabled and the retired. But FICA is NOT the same as FUTA and SUTA - whose funds benefit those who are unemployed due to quitting, firing or layoffs. FUTA and SUTA are paid solely by the employer.

22hockeymom22

Answer by 22hockeymom22 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I hate being wrong. But, I can admit it. I was remembering the union unemployment plan, in which each union member is required to put 1.5% of individual paychecks, the employer is required to do the same. and confusing that with FICA. like I said, I hate being wrong.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i'm glad that he has done this cause i'm unemployment and now on emergency unemployment cause i ran out of my regular. i paid into it with my taxes and employers do too. as tax payers we might as well get something out of our taxes cause who knows where the taxes really go. accept into a lot of government pockets with their jets, servants and expensive incomes.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Umm, I know my pay-stub lists "unemployment and disability" as a specific withholding. It's a State tax.
    Anonymous