What is the best bedtime for a toddler who is almost 3?

Everyone gives me times but I want to honestly know what you all think. Right now his bedtime routine goes like this. We eat dinner at 6:30, we have family time from 7:15 to 8:15, for 15 minutes our son plays on his own while we make sure his bed is clean, his toys are picked up(he helps sometimes), that his pajamas are out, and we prepare his bath. He is in the tub at 8:30 and I let him play in there til 9. At 9:15, I read him two books, then I give him a cup of milk or juice, and some fruit. By 10, I wrap him in his blanket, give him his favorite stuffed dog, and rock him to sleep.
That seems likee a lot but thats how we thought it should be. Now I am being told he isn't getting enough sleep. What do I do?

P.S. My MIL says that 10-10:30 is too late for a toddler.

proudmommy42008

Asked by proudmommy42008 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• It really depends on what works best for your family and your son. When does he wake up? Bedtime doesn't matter as long as he is getting around 15 hours of sleep TOTAL in a 24 HOUR PERIOD (although it can vary slightly per child). My son is 1 and he gets a bottle at 8, I put him in bed and he puts himself to sleep by 8:30, he wakes up between 8-9:30 in the morning for another bottle, and goes back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. He gets 1 nap a day that is about 45 minutes long at the most and thats it. He only need that 1 nap because he sleep so much at night. Otherwise if he gets more naps then that he doesn't go to bed.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i agree, it does depend on your families habits of when everyone gets up,just really do what feels best,if you feel he is acting as though hes still sleepy try an earlier bedtime but do it about 15min earlier per day so there isnt a drastic change in the pattern
    trixy.boo

Answer by trixy.boo at 1:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He cleans his room by 5:30 have dinner at 6 give him a bath about 7:30 he plays in there till about 8 he gets ready for bed and is asleep by 8:45. On the weekends I allow him to stay up, but he usually falls asleep by 9.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 2:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It would be too late for my liking but that doesn't matter. If it works for your family then don't worry. He will need to transition for when he goes to school though. Make sure the total sleep he gets in 24 hours is enough.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I have eliminated the nap all together because then he stays up later and gets up at 6. Then we let him nap and the cycle begins all over again. This is so frustrating.
    proudmommy42008

Comment by proudmommy42008 (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I assumed you were happy with your routine when I read the question. If not, I would shorten some of these things like make the family time and bath shorter by 15 minutes, etc. My kids were going to bed at 7 - 7:30 at that age and sleeping 12 hours (no nap).
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Elizabr, I have tried talking to his dr but the dr said it was normal for kids his age not to sleep more than 7 hours a nite
    proudmommy42008

Comment by proudmommy42008 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Boy, that's surprising. I googled it too and every site said at least 10 hours per night. I guess you have to go with what works for you and if he is happy and not cranky during the day. Take care.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:16 PM on Feb. 27, 2011