Shame on her!

My nieces spend the night at my mom's house at least once a month and my step-father always gives them 2 or 3 dollars before they leave to go home. Well both of my nieces always say that their mother (my SIL) always takes their money and never gives it back to them (btw the nieces are 6 and 4). Well when my mom went to take them home, she said something to my SIL about it. And she opened up her mouth and told my mom, "Why shouldn't I take their money I feed them, buy their clothes, and take care of them. I spend all of my money on them!"

Now I don't think I would feel so horrible about this if all the things she says she does is true. In reality she gets food stamps, my mom buys their school clothes and shoes, and my brother who is having a lot of health problems does most of the cooking, laundry, and makes sure my nieces get on and off the bus so in reality I don't think that she should be taking money from them! I do think that she should take it and save it or keep it until they have enough to buy something they want, but I don't think she should be spending it on herself. How would you deal with a SIL like this?

PhoenixsMommy10

Asked by PhoenixsMommy10 at 12:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow! First off she is their mother she is suppose to spend her money on them. How sad and selfish to take the kids' money from them. I would from now on before the kids leave give them the money like they always do but have them put the money into decorated jars with their names on them. Then when the kids want to go and get something with the money.. have your mom and stepfather take them to the store to get what they want. That way your SIL can't get her greedy hands on it. I can't imagine taking my kids money from them..It's really sad.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My grandparents always gave us money and even when times were hard, my parents NEVER took it from us. I would suggest to your parents that they start a piggy bank for each girl and keep it at your parent's house. They can put the same amount that they would have given them into the bank (even let the girls do it so they see the money and know it is their's) and then once they have saved up enough to buy something nice, your parent's could take them to buy it. This way not only do they get to keep their money but they get to learn about saving for something nice and your parents get to take them to buy it too. Just make sure all the tags are taken off what they buy, it sounds the like mom might sink so low as to take it back to the store for cash
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• lol hoping73, same idea
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Your mom and step father should open up savings accounts in the girls' names. They should be the guardians of the accounts until they turn 18 (or 21 or whatever age they choose)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2011