Pacifier

I have a 20 month old son who loves his nuk at bedtime and naptime (he's not allowed to have it any other time during the day). When do you think it's best to get rid of the nuk? I am due with another in October, so I'm hoping to have his gone by then ... any tips or helpful thoughts?! Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's tough trying to get your child off a pacifier. I have 5 kids and 4 of them were BIG pacifier babies. I would say the sooner the better because it will be harder when the new baby comes. I always did out of sight out of mind...I hid them all and acted as if I couldn't find them. Which took awhile because one of my sons apparently has some stashed all over the house..Lol. He will probably shed a lot of tears over it but be consistent and don't cave. It will probably take a few restless nights but well worth it when he is over this stage. Good luck..and be strong!
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• At this point I would shoot for having them completely gone from his life by the time he's two. Set up some countdown calendars, and explain to him that they need to either go to another child or to the baby when it comes. He'll be the "big boy" now and won't need them. Super Nanny has some good ideas and tips about how to get older children to give them up.

*Note, not intended to sound anything but encouraging: With both of my children we rounded up all the pacifiers in the house the night before their first birthday, after they'd gone to bed and threw them all away. Neither one of my kids has been a thumb/finger sucker, nor was it a battle of wills to get them to let go of the darn plugs. They have a great use, don't get me wrong, but a pet peeve of mine is seeing a 3-5 year old try to talk around the thing and not be understood. That's ME though.

Good Luck!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would just clip the tip of it and hand it back to him. It will loose it's suckability (not sure that's a word, but you get my point! :) ) and he won't want it anymore...at least that was the advise that I got that worked for us when we had to let it go! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My daughter was three when the pacifer was gone for good. She was only using for naps and bedtime. I gave her a new stuffed animal and called it binkie bear adn explained that the binkie had to go for the bear to stay. I never had a problem with her crying for the pacifer. My doctor told me that it was fine for her to keep because it was a comfort thing and she would ourfrow it which she did.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My rule with both my kids was the bottle goes bye bye at 1 and the binky at 2. My older daughter got rid of both on her own before first birthday. My 2nd was a nightmare. When I took her bottle she went on strike and didnt drink milk for almost a year. I had to give her lots of yogurt and cheese to make up for it. About 3 months befor her 2nd birthday i limited binky to bed and nap times and it took some adjusting but wasnt too bad. When I took it at bedtime, it took 4 days of screaming herself to sleep before she finally was ok but I still had to give it to her in the car b/c she was so distracting with her screams plus she gets motion sickness and the sucking helps. About 3 months after her 2nd birthday we were finally binky free!!! Good luck!!!!
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 12:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I forgot to mention that when i took it at bedtime, she had such a hard time that i cut the tip off and gave it to her so she wouldnt like it and it was kinda her idea not to suck it. she did suck it for the first night but after that decided just to scream..
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 12:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• There's really no set time limit. It's up to you. If you're concerned about your toddler's teeth, NUK pacifiers soft and flexible. They do not cause the teeth to be misaligned. My toddler is 2.5 years old, and uses her pacifier for nap and bedtime. It doesn't bother me. I'm sure she'll give them up when she's ready. I don't know too many kids who go to kindergarten with pacis in their mouths!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• personally I would let him have it as long as he wants. it's great you only use it for sleeping. I have friends who let their kids use one until age three.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• im with rosehawk abt supernannys ideas
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 27, 2011