Does this sound like my daughter has a yeast infection ?

She has had 2 urinary tract infections ( once when she was 3 months old and then once when she was 3 1/2 -- she is now 4 1/2 ) ... both of those times she had a fever and we took her to the ER and she was taken care of.

Every once in awhile she will complain about hurting or itching down there, but I assume it is from her not wiping right ( I have tried to teach her how) and it usually if fine in a day or two.

But now for the last few days she has been complaining about it itching and stuff more than usual and I checked and she is red.

I also know that she has been using a new strawberry bubble bath for the week ( her dad thinks that since it says its for kids it wont irritate her) .... I assume this is why she has been more irritated and she is no longer using a bubble bath ( we are starting showers now ) ..... I assume this is the cause and it will clear up.... but I was wondering if anyone thinks I should be more worried about this ( we recently lost our private insurance and we are unable to go to her regular peditrician - we have a family DR but he has said himself that he isnt comfortable with kids and especially something like this I dont feel comfortble taking her to him... I also dont think i should take her to the ER for redness and itchiness - but we have not found any other peditricians that take the new ( state) insurance)...

Is there any safe things I can do for her that I can buy at the store myself.... or is this something she NEEDS to go to the DR for
?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would be willing to bet it's the bubble bath. Give it a few days to see. I've had that happen to my daughter. If it is a yeast infection, other than being uncomfortable it won't hurt her to wait a few days to see if it's something else.

As far as your family doctor, if he isn't comfortable with kids and dealing with genital medical issues, you should find a new one. He is suppose to be professional and competent in general practice, which is where this would fall under.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 12:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• This happened to my Daughter when she was young. Id take her right away! You just never know! It could be just something as minor as bubble bath and it could be something serious. Usually itching and redness is an indication that somethings irritated and wrong. Take her to the ER and get billed later. Better now than never. I just watched Nancy Grace about a week ago and it had a 3 yr old that came into the ER over a high fever. Well, to make a long story short..The little girl was told to WAIT 5 LONG hours and ended up losing both her feet and one hand! Not that this is what is going to happen, but Id rather deal with a bill later to make sure my child is ok! Good Luck! Let us know an update.
    YouHaveNoClue

Answer by YouHaveNoClue at 4:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Im just wondering if you took her in, or did it clear up? Keep us updated. I pray she was and is ok!
    YouHaveNoClue

Answer by YouHaveNoClue at 12:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2011