Treat UTI from home?

Any ways to treat a urinary tract infection from home? My doctors says b/c I'm prone to them he wants to put me on daily antibiotics. I do not want to take antibiotics on regular basis b/c of the risk of building a resistance. I live in a remote community and the next doctor is over 2 hours away. Any suggestions? I KNOW this is what I have b/c I am prone to them. I just dont want to go to doc b/c of what he said last time. I have heard cranberry is good for them. What about cranberry pills?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 12:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Health

• you need antibiotics if its a full one but the cultures in yougurt are supposed to help reduce you getting them also cranberry juice and cranberry pills
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 2:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree with PP, and make sure you are fully emptying your bladder each time you go to the bathroom. And try to pee before/after sex, avoid baths, wipe front to back (duh), and don't hold it when you feel like you have to go. I'm sure you've heard all this before! We have several pts in my office that have recurrent UTIs and do go on daily antibiotics, and some choose to do urethral diliatation. It is really helpful for the women we treat, but it's not for everyone and usually reserved for women who just can't deal with the UTIs anymore. Good luck!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am also very prone to UTIs. At one point, I was on daily antibiotics, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. I take 4 cranberry softgels every day, and if I feel one coming on, I take a couple of Cystex. They are the best invention ever! They can stop an infection before it can take hold, if you take them early enough.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• What is Cystex? Will it work for a full on UTI not just a starting one?
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• It will prevent one from taking hold if you take it early, but for a full blown infection, you would have to get antibiotics. http://www.drugstore.com/cystex-fights-pain-and-burning-urination-tablets/qxp15928?fromsrch=cystex

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2011