What's the best advice for novice scrapbookers?

I have a friend who is SOOOO good at it, and she and I go on these trips together every once in a while. We have a "travel book" that we trade off, each trip. Well, we started it on our last trip, and this trip it's my turn...Her portion from last trip looks fantastic. I just want this trip to look okay too. My friend said, "There's no wrong way to scrapbook"...but it's important to me to make the book look nice for her in the same way she made it look nice for me.

What are some good suggestions?
What are some good websites?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ladies.

ladymomtraveler

Asked by ladymomtraveler at 12:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• go to archivers.com or go to their store - they have free classes, and classes that you pay for. they can give you suggestions and tips

good luck and have fun
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 12:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• scrapbook.com has a great archive..
    if you dont have it already: Get a kit! Or pick out a particular company to buy all supplies from. it will be easier to match up the colors. ... Check out Meetup.com to see if there is a scrapbook group in your area u would like to join. also craft stores (michaels, hobbylobby) do free/low cost classes. checkout the scrapbook groups on cafemom. they have awesome ideas as well..
    - Most of the time- Mat your photos- it can make a big difference. (matting is when u put the border paper behind the pics.)
    -Organize your photos first on how you want to make the scrapbook. so you going into it with a clear plan..
    -take your time. but dont get to caught up in doing exactly what your friend did. Just try to think of why you love her pages so much.
    - Google "rule of thirds scrapbooking".
    -put your heart into. dont be afraid to journal.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks ladies. is it okay to paint on the pages? I don't have a kit. I also don't live in the USA currently, so going to store locations is not possible for me. I do have some random crafty things, like embroidery thread, glitter, border scissors, exacto knife, paints, and some random stickers, all from (non-scrapbooking) craft endeavors in my past.
    Also, how long does scrapbooking usually take?
    ladymomtraveler

Comment by ladymomtraveler (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Save first all your photos and information and then decide what kind of work she will do.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:47 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• you will want to make sure that the materials you use are archival quality so that it doesn't damage your photos. Scrapbooking can be quick or can be time consuming it just depends on what you do. Most important thing is to have fun and put your heart into it
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 3:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011