Is my 2 1/2 year old jealous of his little brother? or is it just "Terrible Two's"??

Well, I had my 2 1/2 year old when i was in high school, and i am no longer with his father. I met someone when he was about 5 months old (not sure if this has anything to do with it but...) my now fiancee is now called "daddy" by my first son, well in august, i gave birth to our son, who is now almost 4 months old. Well these past at least 2 months, my 2 1/2 year old has been quite mean. if someone is paying attention to the baby, he will act out and sometimes hit or kick them, now this doesn't happen all of the time. And i'm not sure why he is acting like this. he calls us mean and hits us but when he is by himself he is an angel! so my question is: Is this normal for his age-"the Terrible Two's"? OR Is he just acting out in jealousy of his new baby brother? please help me--im going crazy! lol

ksmith88

Asked by ksmith88 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds maybe like alittle bit of both. its hard at that age to really understand whats going on. im sure he loves his baby brother but at the same time the new baby is getting the attention he once got. so yes its probably alittle jelousy but also abit of the terrible twos. It gets better hang in there and be patient with him. try to make time for just him during the day do something special with him.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• it is a little of both i have a 22 month and a 4 month old and my 22 month old daughter did the same thing... about 2 weeks old she got where she is much more nice to my 4 month old daughter.... she still acts up when anyone holds the baby ...... good luck
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008