What would you do?

i rarely watch tv in our house because i stay so busy, but we have a DVR, so i have no problem waiting until the weekend nights to watch my favorite show, Reba.

It's currently 11:53 pm here, and my boyfriend's 15 year old son has been playing on his PS3 since just before 7 o'clock tonight. I asked him to take it to his room (where he has his own tv to play it on, although his tv is only a 32" and the one in the living room is 50") so i can watch my 30 minute show before i go to bed, and he told me "it's recorded. you can watch it tomorrow."

my boyfriend is not currently home. i think i've decided to leave the situation alone for the night, but how do i handle this in the future? he's been told by his father, many times, to stop disrespecting me like this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• "please take your video game to your room or I will have to have a talk with your dad" or something like that..
    Most teens DONT want you in their room, so maybe try saying "ok ill go watch tv in your room instead" (even if u have a bedroom tv. its the point! your the adult, you control the living room for the most part. so if he is going to take over ur living room.. u take over his bedroom-- haha)
    You should try to sit down with your boyfriend & see what he thinks & how he would like for you to respond.

Good luck :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• @MommaTasha - he knows i won't call his dad right now, and he knows he'll only have to sit through a lecture once his dad gets back hom on monday. and i just tried the "ok, i'll go watch tv in your room instead" and he says "yeah, but you can't watch your show in there" which i realized is true, because we don't have total home dvr. so i said "fine, i'll go watch something else" so he just looked at me like "and?" so i went in there, and he yells "hey, can you bring me my controller cord? my controller is about to die!"

shoot me?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i'd say beat him, but that's just what i want to do to my own son occassionally LOL - good luck - tell his dad, and get his dad to take away the game system for a week. maybe that will get him to share
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 1:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If the dad has told him to not disrespect you, and he still is, then take matters into your own hands, and the next time he gets to paly on his video games, and u ask him to please take it into his room and he doesn't, unplug the video game and tell him "ok, I will just help u take the game to your room, cause its obvoiusly to heavy for u to lift and maybe that was the reason u didn't do it the 1st time I ask u" But make sure u put on your most sweetest smile untill he has diabetes!!! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would unplug it, and tell him he'd have to wait to get it back from his dad. Then the three of you sit down and set up rules about what happens when he disobeys you.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Take away the game he is playing. When he gets it back, tell him the big t.v. is off limits. He seems to forget it's your house, your things, your rules. And get his father to back you by doing the talking and the taking. The other thing I would do if this fails is buy a t.v. for your bedroom and give some more thought to the whole situation. This kid needs to be respectful.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 1:29 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I was never allowed to disrespect ANY adult like that. I'd sit and talk to his dad about some real punishment like losing the game for a set period of time or you could all sit down and set up a schedule for using the big TV. He gets to play his game for a certain amount of time and then it's someone else's turn and he can either take it to his room or find something else to do. At the same time, you should all decide on a set of consequences for being disrespectful or taking longer than your given time. Then, you should be allowed to give the agreed upon discipline in his father's absence.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would pack up the game and get rid of it. If he can't respect you in your home he can do without it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:03 PM on Feb. 27, 2011