Whole milk or 2%

My son just recently turned 2 and his doctor has said nothing wrong about him continuing to drink whole milk.He weighed in at 27lbs and 37 inches long,they said his weight was ok and that height wise he is in the 75th percentile so he is tall & lean for a 2yr old.I recently started getting WIC and they have been nagging me to only give him 2% or else he will grow up fat.I asked the doctor and she said it was ok to keep giving whole milk because he has a fast metabolism & is soo active,yet at my Wic appt there starting to get impatient with me.They also told me i need to stop giving him a sippy and switch him to regular cups,but his dr said if he is still using a sippy thats fine cause when he is ready for the switch he will let us know...Im not sure what to do about Wic because i feel they are pressuring us way too much.They told me they want him off his sippy by my next appt which is april.What do i do....I feel we are making the right decisions with him,but im dreading the Wic appt....All advice is welcome.

b4byd0ll

Asked by b4byd0ll at 1:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well I had the same issues with them , and it might sound bad ,but I just told them what they wanted to hear ,,, blah blah blah , I lied like a cheap rug ! LOL
    Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 2:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Ok, I have been on WIC too! They can tell you what they want till they are blue in the face, but YOU ARE MOM you make all they choices! I like my son on whole milk bcuz he is also tall and thin. He is not under weight! I just like whole milk to drink for myself anyways. It tastes better than 2% and if I dont like the taste of 2% I know my child isnt. I wouldnt make my child eat or drink anything I wouldnt! My DD is lactose and tolarent so I have no say in her milk lol. As for the sippy cup, my son is almost 4 and still uses a sippy cup, I dont want to clean up a spill in my carpet and have stains everywhere just because WIC doesnt want them using a sippy cup! He likes to use a reg. cup but like i said i dont wanna clean up any messes. But you can try the reg cup just make a rule to keep it in the kitchen. Don't be afraid of WIC they cant call CPS or anything bcuz your child is on a sippy cup or bcuz of the milk you choose!
    MOM2DYLnHAYLEE

Answer by MOM2DYLnHAYLEE at 2:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Haha Stormy7! I do the same thing! I just go by what DS's Dr says.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Ok first of all, WIC is a government program. They are not doctors. They don't know half of what they are talking about. Do what your dr says. And they cannot force you out of the program for doing what your dr said to do. That crap about the sippy cup is especially ridiculous.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I've heard it's not bad too give a child whole milk all the way up to the age of 5 - so that is what I continue to give my Son (who will be 4 in June). Anyone who says it'll cause obesity is an idiot..maybe if the kid drank two gallons a day, sure. lol.

Have you tried giving your kid a straw? My Son kicked the bottle at 9 months after He grabbed my smoothie and drank it down with the straw..He used straws all the time after that. Just an idea. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'd go by what the Doc says too.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:41 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• WIC told me that my dd needs to let go of her lovie, she has had that since she was 10 months old! She doesn't leave unless she has "leo" Its a little leopard. And she loves it!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would think that whole milk is fine. But I also think that 2% can taste good after you get use to the change. I mixed 2 and whole for awhile than went to 2%. My husband has high cholesterol and he drinks skim now.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He only needs to drink water. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• you and the doctor know best. just tell WIC what they want to hear, how are they going to know?
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 1:32 PM on Feb. 27, 2011