How do I help My 2 year old daughter with her mood-swings?

She has gotten worse over the last few weeks and I cannot even go to the store now! She screams out throws her self on the floor.If I pick her up she will scream'" No Mommy, Put me down now!!! Ahhhhhh" ( hate all the people that look at me in the store. I’m sure they are all saying look at that stupid woman she can’t control her kids.) Now when she plays with her 1-year-old brother, she will hit and scream at him. We are in the middle of a move and I know this has something to do with her moods but I cannot get anything done. I ‘m contently consoling her. (( I feel like a bad mother and that I should know how to fix it! I really just want to cry!))

MeganU

Asked by MeganU at 11:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds a lot like she is angry at you. And she is making you pay. Sit down on the couch and ask if she wants some cuddle time. After a few minutes ask her about things. You need to commit some time to make her feel like she is safe and you understand her anger. I know that you have a ton of other things to do, but start including her in everything. Distract her. Let her know how precious she is and how much you value her company and help.

You know, my first instince WAS oh man that kid needs a spanking. But after rereading it I get the impression she wasn't always this way. Good luck, and please let us know how things go.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Your not a bad mother it's just the age and the move. Right now she is probley feeling unsecure because of the move she doesn't really feel comnfortable anywhere but she has to learn that throwing a fit isn't the right way of dealing with her emotions. For hiting she should definalty have to do time out or some sort of punishment. As for the fitsat home just tell her you love her and that you will talk to her when shes through and then just walk away. It may take her a few times but she will realize that throwing a fit doensn't get your attention and she will quit. When your at the store it's harder but sometime the best thing to do is just pick her up and leave she'll learn thtat throwing a fit doesn't get her anything there either. It's going to take about a week for her to catch on but once she does the fits go away.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You are doing the right thing by cuddling her and consoling her. Let her know that everything is going to be okay. You should also "try" to relax and be calm while doing this with your daughter. If she senses your stress and tension that may also make her act out more because she is "worrying" about how mommy is feeling. This isn't easy but when I comfort my daughter I try to clear my head and just focus on her and not the behavior.

For hitting she should be put on time out. It is recommended that they do 1 minute of time out for each of their age. If the time out is too long then it won't work because they will get distracted and not really understand.

As for people out in public, don't worry. If they are parents they have most likely went through some form of what you are going through right now.
    Baby_Martinez

Answer by Baby_Martinez at 11:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think giving children a vocabulary for their feelings helps, too. Maybe not right away, but eventually if you say "I understand you are feeling ....angry, frustrated, scared, tired....insert some words they can start to have a vocabulary for their feelings instead of screaming.

Focus on your daughter, too, not the people at the store. They don't know your situation and even if they did they would have an opinion about it! =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008