High School Pregnancy? Graduation Rate? College Attendance Rate?

Do you think that these are related? The high school my daughter attends (over 2,000 students) has maybe two pregancies a year. The graduation rate is 100%. The college rate is 98%, with the remainder choosing national service (Americorps, military, etc.).

Asked by rkoloms at 7:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• So like I said earlier, a quality education & involved parents play a key role. (Guess someone took offense to me saying teen pregnancy could be an obstacle on going to college right after high school. -oh well, cant plz everyone when you're tryin to make a point) That is great! And I hope the funding or at least a less expensive version could be modeled in districts across the country. Lord knows we need it!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Without making a tv show out of it....I think areas where teenage pregnancy is virtually 0 is because the family unit/perhaps the community as a whole promotes education, planning a lucrative future, etc whereas in areas that everyone is left to do what they want or the community as a whole is uneducated pregnancy runs rampant.  Luckily I think we only have 1 pregnant girl in our high school.  I don't know if I made  my answer clear or not.  I was trying to be tactful.  My husband believes all children should be implanted at birth with something so they can not "multiply" till they're at least 21.  There's a bunch of tax dollars saved. 

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 8:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Wow. Are those numbers for real, no dropouts? If the numbers are for real, that's truly amazing. How do they accomplish that?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:41 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• They are an academically advanced high school, that only accepts students who are capable of doing the work and who want to be there. Motivated kids don't drop out of high school, especially when the high school supports them so well.
    Michelle Obama attended the school, and credits the rigorous academics for getting her into college.
    If the educational model of the school could be replicated across the U.S., we might have a chance of regaining our competitive edge in the world marketplace.

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Those are pretty impressive numbers! I'm sure not having a teen pregnancy "obstacle" - has some impact on if you go to college right out of high school or do it later. I'd have to say that a quality education & involved parents also play a key role on those numbers.

(NOTE: No children are not obstacles- they are blessings- no bashing plz -just making a point)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2011