Bowel question...sorry this is probably way tmi...

My 8 month old daughter has been having bowel movement issues that her doctor won't do anything about. She screams and cries so hard that you would think she was dying. Its been about a month now and no relief. But when I was changing her 3rd dirty diaper this morning (she has a couple poops a day, very hard lumps) i noticed something on her anus. I've never had or known anyone with hemrrhoids, so I don't know if thats what it is. Its about as big as my pinkie nail, outside her anus. Her doctor's office is really bad about returning phone calls and I haven't gotten an answer from them yet. Any one have ANY ideas? Its really driving me nuts as to what this is...

daniellemjscott

Asked by daniellemjscott at 11:45 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• It could be hemmroids or a hyrnia. Sounds like you need a new doctors office I suggest calling around and finding a new pediatician. Someone who will be more dependable. If you don't get an answer take her to urgent care you don't want your daughter to be in pain while you wait for her doc.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 11:50 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I would be furious at the doctors office!! I would call them and tell them that you need an appointment TODAY!! If they don't call back, I would immediately call your insuance company and see if you can take her to urgent care (because sometimes those places are not covered!!) And as a very last resort take her to the ER...because if it is a hernia it needs to be taken care of immediately!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Blow up the doc's phone till you get through or call a new doc or walk her into the office and demand to be seen
    Anonymous

• Switch to a pediatric GI doctor. If your doctor won't give you a name, simply look in the phone book.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Either they see your daughter TODAY and come up with treatment (at the very least, a stool softener!) or you find a new pediatrician who will care more about your daughter's health. No baby should be in pain for a normal bowel movement. Good luck!~
    ummmhello

Answer by ummmhello at 5:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• All the strain it takes for her to have a bowel movement can cause hemorrhoids or even a hernia I would get her to a doctor asap. Because more strain could cause either one to rupture. And I agree with the others you need a doctor that cares about your childs welfare. I can't believe they won't return your calls for something this important. good luck.
    luv.2b.mommy

Answer by luv.2b.mommy at 11:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• First I would definately fine another doctor that is more willing to help. If you daughter is having a hard time pooping you could try giving her prune or apple juice, or on the shelf they have other juices for that. Try staying away from meat baby foods. This may help relieve some of the strain, but I would still get her to a NEW doctor ASAP to have that looked at.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Ok, so everyone knows...I AM switching her doctor after the new year. I ended up taking her to a pediatric urgent care when she started throwing up after each poop. They gave her a stool softener, told me to give her karo syrup (very very sweet syrup that will make her intestines slippery, therefore, not as much pushing), and even got a prescription for a diaper rash creme, because she's been going so much her butt is raw. Oh yea, and it was a hemrrhoid. This was Thursday night. She has had ONE very hard poop and its Monday morning the next week. So thank you to all who post, and of course to the wonderful young doctor who took care of her!!
    daniellemjscott

Answer by daniellemjscott at 1:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• We used mineral oil. It isn't digested into the body. It is amazing. Just mix a tablespoon into a bottle once a day and it worked like magic. We had problems getting help for my daughter, too. She would scream and strain for 3 days, go, be a happy girl for 2 days, then repeat. I'm glad you found a good doctor.
    Anonymous