How to stop the temper tantrums of a 19-month-old boy??

So far, I don't believe in spanking him
He is too little to understand reason or time out

So are there any other solutions?

He will literally throw himself on the ground, all dead-weight-like, and cry--over pretty much nothing. And yeah--in public.

I'm so frustruated.

momme2008

Asked by momme2008 at 8:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as lons as he is safe
    try the ignore tactic
    hopefully at home
    he goes to floor screaming
    back off, getting close cause more fit? then remove yourself
    listen to his sounds, when he clams just a bit, go into room, let him see you but not too close, do not make eye contact, sit on floor ten feet away and start to play with some toys, have fun but not too much excitement as to make him fit more, when he looks over and is a bit more calm, make toy sounds-have a bit more fun, if he fits more, be a bit more quiet but continue to play
    you are not giving him attention for tantrum, but you are giving stimulation to play something else
    all this takes good timing, and good amount of making your fun activity better option than his fit

of course if in store..remove him to car seat, and (therapist said this..when clam bring him back into store)lol this was from an OT, and he was not in store when my daughter fitted,
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my daughter is queen of fits
    she is in spectrum with moderate autism
    so her tantrums have her - she does not have tantrum

if you feel tantrum has him and not him having them
    then IMO, you have to wait until tantrum has cooled down to have child understand anything at all
    that age and size of tantrum- time out not going to work, i agree spanking all not work
    when child is defiant, and in control of actions - then time out or spank child can get something out of

also my child has autism- time out is not good to encourage, because want child with autism to engage not be removed from people

also, if you think his tantrums are bigger than normal, speak to doc, get referral to therapist (possible sensory issues?)

sister used to hold hers until they calmed-wow, good for her, but mine would fit more when i tried this

ignore, ignore ignore, do not give attention, attention is reward for tantrum (in so
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• me again-lol

if you have a problem every time you go to store, look at surroundings of store
    sensory processing disorder issues (my daughter had)
    cart had to move, when i stopped cart-tantrum
    bright lights, many voices all talking at once
    new things everywhere, too much to look at,

walmart is a bad one, shopko (for example) is a quieter store
    stores are set up to stimulate the brain, even make you want to buy just to get out of there
    watch for patterns, is it in one store more than another

can not tell you how many carts half full of food i left because tantrums ended the task of shopping
    distraction always good, large motor activity before goign to store can help
    get him to focus on small thing in front of him on his lap instead of the whole huge picture of just too much stuff in a huge store
    if he can do ear things to listen to music, or you humming or singing, can help with the amount of s
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• my 2 year old goes to throw tantrums and i make him look me in the eye and i saw no firmly and sometimes it works. I find other times if im at home to just walk away. You may want to try and video him doing it then show him it may help
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 8:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree with ignoring him and walking away if you can. One time when we were at home and my son wouldn't stop I said "I am much bigger then you if and if you don't stop screaming I am going to scream louder then you." I warned him to more times and then I screamed at the top of my lungs. He stopped looked at me with total surprise and calmed right now. After that he didn't really throw them anymore and if he started I would say "Do you want me to scream?"

I know he is little and you don't think he can reason, although he probably can reason more than you think. If he is able to talk a little and he understands what you say then he can reason. You just have to out things in words he will understand. Also, tantrums are testing you to see if he can get what he wants. If you give in he will keep doing them so you just have to stand your ground no matter how hard it is.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Oh and he ONLY has tantrums with me. Not with his father, grandparents, or anyone else.

I hope because of this I can rule out SPD/spectrum stuff. Unfortunately, he saves the fun for me. :?
    momme2008

Comment by momme2008 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree, that as long as he is safe, then you should just ignore it. Because the more of a reaction he gets out of you, the more he is going to do it. This is a stage he is going through, and I promise you it will pass.....hang in there!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

-------------------------
    what a little smarty pants!
    do not give in (i know easier said than done) but even givingin 1 in 30 times, he will remember that this tantrum thing worked and he will try againto get his way. ignore ignore ignore
    try to find some humor in it when he is fitting to save your sanity. think of him as all grown up and think how cute it is, of listen to his sounds and try to find humor, endless tantrums are hard on the mom

as for public on the floor in store, try the remove him, take to car, when he clams down go back in and try it again, he will have not gotten his way (if tantrum was to leave the store) when you bring him back in to try it all over again, he will see that tantrum do not work (this from OT)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son's tantrums ended when I ignored them. Stay calm and loving and tell him no to this behavior.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• im with he others here ..
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 27, 2011