I am trying to decide whether or not to have an epidural during birth if needed-any stories to share?

I would like stories about having an epidural-good and bad.

andrea5979

Asked by andrea5979 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The epidaral hurt when they put it in! And it still hurts 6 months later!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I tried to go without an epi with my 1st one...sooo did not work for me...I ended up getting the epi which not only relieved the pain so that I was able to rest a little and was no longer threatening everyone that came near me but I ended up needing a c-section so it was a good thing that the epi was already in place. With my 2nd child...I got the epi as soon as I could...and again..turned out needing a c-section so again...we were lucky it was already in place.
    IF I ever had another child...I will most likely get another epi
    Dabugg698

Answer by Dabugg698 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No one can tell you whether you will need an epidural or not. It's an individual decision. I will say that when I had my DD my water broke before labor but with my son my water was broken at 7 cm and the contractions are more painful after my water was broken.

Listen to your body. Only you can say if you will need one or not! I had 2 babies, 2 epidurals, and was madly in love with the anestheiologist both times.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 11:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I had an epidural, and it was the best thing I ever did. Before I got it, the contractions were so bad it was ridiculous...I couldn't even imagine what the birth would have felt like!! It made the birth much more enjoyable for me. That is why I did it. I wanted to enjoy the process of giving birth to my son. I wasn't in pain so I was able to watch (they had a mirror that they put down there) and I got to watch the whole thing!! It was amazing and beautiful. I feel like if I wouldn't have had an epidural then I just would have been screaming and I wouldn't have been able to watch. I hope it helps you!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well... I had a c-section, and they gave me a spinal block...which is put into the same spot in your back. It worked well for me! I didn't feel anything from my ribs down!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 11:55 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I had 2 epidurals, they were fantastic! It's a little unnerving while they are actually inserting, but you'll probably be in pain from labor anyway and after they get it done you will feel so much better!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have had 3 children without drugs. I will tell you not everyone can do it but alot of it has to do with your mental attitude. If you go into it saying it will hurt too bad I can't do it, it will hurt too bad and you can't do it. I was blessed with fast labors all 3 times and yes it hurt but the breathing techniques they teach do work. I was able to deliver all 3 with no drugs. The best part was being able to get up and walk quickly after birth. I scared my nurses when i walked back from the nursery where they gave baby the first bath! They are so used to women getting epidurals and not being able to walk. This is totally a personal decision and you must research all the options and what is best for you and the baby. Also take the classes offered they are much worth the effort and it does work!!!
    mommacat

Answer by mommacat at 11:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• So i was determind to labor naturaly and was doing pretty well on my own but due to fetal distress need a emergency c section so they gave me a epi. I didnt think it hurt that bad going in of course i was in labor and contracting so that might have had something to do with it. It worked well for me and then after my c section it was nice to be numb still for a while cuz they push on your tummy alot after delivery to make sure your not getting blood clots. im trying again to have a natural delivery but i think im going to go ahead and get the epi regardless just in case of c sect cuz then it wil be in place
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well i have a semi-good story and a bad story.
    - With my 1st I had the epidural at 7 cm had it for over 5 hours, i could feel literally anything & they wouldn't take the line out until I was able to walk, well at 8 pm (Ally was born at 5 pm) I still had no feeling in my right leg. I complained enough where the nurse FINALLY removed the line & i got feeling back within 5 min, that said that was a coincidence (sp?). - Bad story
    - With my 2nd I was induced but I did not want the epidural but then the contractions were double & triple peaked & getting very hard to handle, but I was stubborn i didn't want it, the doctor was trying to get me to get it
    Momma_Forever

Answer by Momma_Forever at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• & between dr, my fiance, & the pain I finally get it at 9 cm dialated, after they gave it to me i quickly dialated to 10 but Gabby still hadn't dropped so the doc said he was going to let me rest. Within 45 min I had the urge to push & I was able to feel everything too just not as much pain. So i like it a little better this time except I was left w/ a huge bruise on my back,. It made it even harder to walk afterwards, my back got messed up during the pregnancy from work, lifting 32 in tvs until 2 days before they induced me. - Semi good story

We plan on having a third child I will NOT be getting the epidural or being induced. While the experiance with the epidural was BETTER the second time, it was STILL not good enough where I will repeat it and I would have never gotten it if they had not induced me.
    Momma_Forever