How do you cure jealousy?

I am pregnant with my 3rd child and I have a great fear that my 2nd child (3 year old son) is going to start acting out because of jealousy of the new baby. He all of a sudden has started to act like a baby again by babbling and instead of asking for something he points and grunts. Of coarse I dont give in to the grunt demands and I have him actually ask for the object that he desires. Im just concerned that he is going to resent this baby.

familynsni

Asked by familynsni at 8:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is all normal, it will pass and he won't permanently resent the baby, everything will fall into place.

Answer by older at 8:48 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Im sure it's just a phase he is going through, when he meets the new baby, just let him take his own time getting used to him. I know a friend of mine, she bought her child a baby doll, so when she was taking care of the new baby, the child was able to pretend he was taking care of his baby. I'm sure when the baby gets here, he will be really excited to help out. He might still have his fits here and there, but I'm sure it all will work out fine. Good luck to you!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Make sure he has one on one time with you and your SO both separately and together. (And your oldest will need this too). Plus lots of understanding and love. Make them big helpers when the baby comes, praise them often, and remind them how much you love them so they don't feel replaced. Some of the best advice I ever got was to make it about the older children for a few weeks when the baby comes home. One idea was to take the older children to lunch, or the park, etc and tell them that only big boys and girls can do these things, not babies. It worked wonders in my family. Best wishes to all of you!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:42 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• You have enough on your mind. Don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. After the new baby comes, you can give him special one-on-one time when the baby is napping. But for now, I would try not to talk too much about the new baby. Sometimes little one get the wrong ideas about what is going to happen when the new baby comes, and you talking about it, just makes it worse, rather than allaying their fears.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Just wait and see. when the baby does come. give him some one on one time.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011