Husband refuses to allow me to go to church.

Even by myself he still says no. Comes up with a new excuse every week. I understand he has no idea what to believe, but I grew up in the church. Why should I have to give up my faith just because he has none?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I would go anyway. :)
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I'm sorry. You should be able to go to church if you want to - just as he is able to not go if he doesn't want to. Point out to him that if he expects you to love and respect his choice to not attend, then he needs to respect your choice to attend, then just go. Don't listen to his arguments against it, get up, get ready, and go.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• youre an adult, go if you want to go. he cant physically stop you. & the fact he is trying to, is downright pathetic.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• No one can tell you how to worship. It's a personal thing. Sometimes spouses feel threatened when a partner finds their faith. It's really very common. Maybe you could talk to a minister about this. I'm sure they'd be able to help you
    Good luck honey. Don't let anyone dictate your life for you
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Unless he physically restrains you just go. (Don't let him physically restrain you either.) I've heard a lot of women say this but it always makes me wonder what the heck they're talking about. I can go anywhere i dang well please.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 8:53 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I am sorry but you are a grown woman and should not have to ask for permission or need to be allowed, you want to go, then do it.

Answer by older at 8:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Your husband is bullying you, in an abusive manner. Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If it's something that you feel strongly about then you should go. I know that sounds too easy but it's up to you to make it happen. Just don't let him stop you.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Are there other things he doesn't "let" you do?

If you want to go to church you should be able to go. That doesn't mean HE has to go...is it an issue with the kids? is it just that he thinks you will try to convince him to go too? I think you guys need to talk and figure out what the actual problem is

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• He cannot keep you from going. Stay strong and do what you need to do.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2011