There is a certain ethnic group in this country who receive a lot of free services because of their ethnic back ground or they belong to a certain tribe

the services that they receive includes medical,dental etc. these services are exclusive only to this particular group.
my question is; when they are on welfare, food stamps etc it is from the tax dollars of every other hard working american so why can't every other american benefit from the corporations that provide these free handouts to this certain group ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 9:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I know native americans get free schooling as long as they're a certain % NA and can prove it.
    I think it's only fair that these people benifit like that, after all everyone else took the land that they lived on, gave them diseases and enslaved them.

You should really be more specific though, cause your a little all over the place with your question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Wow, what a ridiculous misinterpretation of Laws, Treaties, and the history of this country. You can't compare Native Americans ti immigrants...they are the original people here. Where is the comparison to immigrants? lmao

In answer to the OP, I think that the NAs in this country got screwed and often continue to get screwed on a regular basis. I am certainly not going to complain about health and dental care. GMAB
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• So you have issues with the Native Americans?
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I don't know any living Native Americans who had anything taken from them. (go ahead, vote me down, I don't care) I get tired of retribution to generations of people. If it is not laid to rest, the divisions in this country will never be over.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• the land does not belong to the native americans
    ______________________
    They had existing nations and governments when Europeans moved here. OMG did you miss history class or what
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think it's only fair that these people benifit like that, after all everyone else took the land that they lived on, gave them diseases and enslaved them.

I don't think she meant anything negative by it Blue Collar Mama.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I acknowledge that someone will never understand what the refuse to but I'll try anyhow. Native Amerians (myself included) did not submit to US control. It was only done through treaties. Native health care and other programs are not freebies, they are payments for rights and land taken from them.

I dare anyone to research Native American history and dispute the fact that North America was taken away from the natives through lies and broken treaties.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 11:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The lack of understanding people have of the history of their own country is sometimes astounding. Should we bomb the hell out of Europe since those treaties are old and written in a different time, too? These aren't charity - these are negotiated points of international treaties between two nations. Just because we destroyed one of those two nations into near oblivion doesn't mean they don't exist anymore. Perhaps you'd personally be happier if we had?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I know quite a few American Indians, and not one receives any kind of assistance at all, not one single penny. Most of them could care less--they've made their own way in the world. Most people now, should understand what happens throughout history. People invade other nations, force assimilation, marry and breed with the 'native' groups, and with time, destroy any sort of pure blood group that may have existed. Nearly every human group has been enslaved, conquered, raped, murdered, forced to change, etc. Not one group has suffered any more than another--read a history book, it's all there. African Americans have suffered no more than the Irish, Native Americans have suffered no more than the Chinese, and Jews have suffered no more than the women of Rwanda. Different times and different forms of war, but it's all the same in the end.

SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 4:35 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• im with babygirl0782 and pluse im indian and do belong to a tribe we do get dental and medical but i dont use it since i live away from the tribe i think its only fair
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2011