How much should I spend on my wedding dress?

Hi Everyone,
The total budget for our wedding is 17k.
10k of it is paying for the venue which includes the ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner and wedding cake. How much should I spend on the dress? I have seen people spend $99 at davids bridal and other spend several thousand at stores like kleinfeld(say yes to the dress) Im a penny pinchers so I was thinking something around $200. Recommended by friends, I find some cheap wedding dresses ,What do you think?I really like it very much!
http://www.iloveonsale.com/wholesale-cheap-customermade-new-design-white-tulle-strapless-ball-gown-applique-beading-wedding-dress-07jmhs047_p15917.html

alihimei

Asked by alihimei at 9:04 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Shopping

• It all depends on u and what u want.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:08 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• That is a very pretty dress. Have u gone into look at David bridal yet? U might actually find a dress very similar to that dress for less. But the price for that dress isn't bad at all.
    CherBear2529

Answer by CherBear2529 at 9:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Its beautiful but buy it because you love it, not because of th price.. Your wedding day is the one day you get to live out that fantasy so pick a dress you'll love forever. I you love it then but it, bu7t if you're buying it because the price is right then you're making a mistake..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• go with whatever makes you happy...our entire wedding WITH the dress was about 300.00
    20 bucks went to my dress- but it was jsut some peach thing I found that wouldn't make my mom cringe (I would have worn black)n and fit (I was pregnant) We were broke and had to use a tax return for ours so I'm probably the wrong girl to ask!

If you can truly afford it- then get whatever you love...if not then base it on price...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I love the dress in the link!! Do youlove it? It's important what you think not anyone else. There are dresses on eBay too but read the descriptions very carefully as most sellers do not offer returns. Then there is also Salvation Army stores and consignments shops. I took my dress to Salvation Army and the clerk told me it would sell in a week because it was in such great condition. Also, I want to add that you can make a plain dress very fancy by adding your own embellishments. If you go to fabric stores and look in the notions area and lace area you will see all sorts of things you can buy to add to a dress. They can be sewn on by hand or even glued on if done carefully. And there are lots of crystals, pearls, etc that are available in craft stores too. GL Best wishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:33 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• If you like the dress, and it's in your budget, get it. You don't have to tell people what you paid for it. Btw - I paid a couple of hundred dollars for my dress, it was a very inexpensive wedding, and, over 18 yrs later, my dh and I are still very happy, we're still in love, and I still have fond (and some funny) memories about our wedding. I've known people who spent a small fortune on the dress (and on the wedding) - some of them even took out a loan to pay for it, and their marriages didn't last (in one case, they hadn't even paid for the wedding all the way when they were divorced).

What I'm trying to say is that the price of the dress isn't going to make your wedding special, nor is it going to make (or break) your marriage - you, your new dh, and your love is going to make it all good. So, if you like a $200 dress, get it, and put the rest of the money in the bank :-)

congrats on the wedding, btw! :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:37 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• As little as possible and you are still happy with it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:36 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• a wedding dress doesn't have a price... it's the one you try on and tears come out... that's when you say this is it... you could find really good deals at davids bridal but go with what makes you say WOW
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It all depends on the budget you have set aside for your dress. I have had a few friends, go to davidsbridal.com and there's an aray of dresses that aren't too expensive and they also looked at bridesmaids dresses in a white or ivory as they tend to be less expensive.
    Armywife369

Answer by Armywife369 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I spent $50 on mine, my entire wedding cost $500.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 2:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2011