OK, This may be a bit to in depth for this but here it goes. I have a 16 month old who is always getting into everything. no matter how much i tell him no, and how much i punish him. i will punish him for something, and 2 mins later he will be doing the same thing. i have tried to pull him away and distract him with toys, nothing works. Please help

singlemommy863

Asked by singlemommy863 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds to me that he knows what gets your attention. He knows that if he does it then you will be over there quickly. If you can, put what he is getting into up. When my children were that age everything three feet above the floor was theirs. All the shelves and stuff. This way I didnt have to constantly go after them for touching stuff. We could play nicely together without the constant punishment, therefore got more positive attention. Alot of people will say that they will not learn this way (including my mom) but my children are 4 and six now and stay out of what is not theirs. I have a huge book shelf full of books they they never touch. I think it just makes for a more pleasent house.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You have to be consistent. My daughter is the same way sometimes. I just keep on her, and ignore the whining. Time outs work for her, sometimes she has to go in it twice for the same thing, but once she sees that I'm not giving up she stops. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• hes only 16months there really isnt much you can do yet he doesnt know he is doing anything wrong. all you can do is try and distract him.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Um...he is still a baby. What you have described is what babies do. Simply take him away from the area and do something else with him. If he is into stuff he isn't supposed to be into, UM put it away. BABYPROOF
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I just locked up every thing. Or put things up where my kids couldn't reach them. Tell they were old enough to understand.

Answer by louise2 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• At 16 months old your son does not have the impulse control to ignore something that gets his attention. It's going to take a lot of saying "no" and redirection to get him to internalize the message not to do whatever it is he's doing. As the parent, you have to remain consistent and keep repeating the message.

Make sure he's playing in a space that's child proofed. The fewer things you need to say no to when you can't be engaged with him fully, the less he can get into.

Try to keep expectations age appropriate. At this age he's not being bad, he's being 16 months old. There is EVERY reason to tell him no and discipline as appropriate, but make sure you've got proper expectations for a 16 month old too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008