Has anyone went back to college with 2 or more children???

Im getting ready to go back to college next month and im a little scared. How hard is it to manage a family and your school work?

familynsni

Asked by familynsni at 9:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in

• I have a 8 yr old, 6 yr old, and a 12 day old newborn. I have been in college for the past 4 years. It's not hard to juggle both kids and school. I take online class though. I do everything with the kids first. Get their homework done, fix their dinner, and spend time with hubby. Then after baths are done and they are in bed I start my school work. Which is about 8 pm every night. Once u start u will have to sit down and think out a plan on how u want everything to work.
    CherBear2529

Answer by CherBear2529 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I went back with 3 kids to a regular in person university. I also worked full time. It was hard but you can do it. I also went to an online college and that was easier but I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. The price is way too high and you can get the same if not better education from a local college that offers online classes.
    You just have to get into a groove. I did all my homework when the kids were at school. I always made sure it was scheduled to be done by Friday so I had extra time in case I got stuck, and time on the weekends for my family.

Answer by gemgem at 9:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I've just now done the online thing. I have 2 teens and a 14mo. Mr. 14mo is going to daycare so I can work during the day and everyone pitches in together for dinner, etc. at night. When I have stuff to do after everyone's gotten home I just go in the bedroom. So far everyone's supportive. Congratulations~ I'm 35 and I feel so great that I'm actually doing this for me!
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I graduated from Cornell when my second son was 7 months old. I did my graduate work after my third son.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• When I went back my oldest was 1 year old. I had my second child while I was in school and I graduated pregnant with my 3rd child. I also wokred full time and my DH worked at night. While at times it was hard I did make it work and I think I got better grades because I was older. One thing I learned was to always talk with my professors and let them know what was going on. I also took online classes and I even clep a class.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My kids are 5 and 3 and I work part time and starting March 7th I am going to a brick and mortar school full time. I haven't been to college in over 11 years so I am worried, but I think it will work out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes, I have 6 children and I just started going back to school this fall. Thank god I'm on unemployment and a very supportive fiancee' who takes care of the kids when I'm gone.
    luvmebrats9

Answer by luvmebrats9 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I went back with 1 child and a fulltime job. You find a rhythm. Just know that life as you know it will change but you will get use to it. There will be times that you will have to sacrifice time with your family to do school work. just remember that this is for your future as well as theirs and its only for a small amount of time if you look at the big picture. If its any encouragement, i got a new job paying 24k a year more than i was making when i graduated.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:40 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I only have one and I have a hard time with transportation and paying for child care but you make it through. Right now I take my classes online and I feel guilty sometimes for the amount of time I have to spend online but I make a schedule and stick to it. Also most of the hard work I do really late at night (like now) and I wake up early and get work done then so the rest of my time can devote to my kid and other responsibilites.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 11:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• crazy
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2011