Parental Consent for an Elective C-Section?

If you have a teenage daughter (lets say 14 years old) and she's pregnant how would you feel about her getting to choose an elective c-section without your consent?

I know of several doctors that do elective c-section on teens (well and adults) because they don't want to make them go through labor, etc.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• honstly even being under age in the long run its her body and shes having the baby so i think its up to her and not the parent and trust me in the end she still wont wana get pregnant again for a long time. Teenagers think labor hurts and that a c section wont but in the end they relize its alot more painful for recovery. I dont thnk you should need prenatal consent its not the parents body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Its her body, she didn't have to have a parents consent to get pregnant the only thing to do is explain the dangers

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:57 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Some teenagers still have small bodies which indicates an increased need for a c-section medically, notelectively.
    Anonymous

• Like they said, she didn't need her parents' consent to get pregnant, she shouldn't need their consent to have a c-section.

With that said...I'd hope that a teen that chooses that is more than well informed of the risks and dangers of c-sections as well as a vaginal birth. Nobody should ever choose to get a c-section because they think it's "easier" or "faster".
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• confusedWhere do you get this?  Whose insurance is the teen under?  The term elective should never be used by someone without a medical degree, that is up to the doctor to decide not the parents and certainly not a child who got pregnant, she's gonna have enough decisions to make from this point on.  Why are you so stuck on C-sections being an elective thing, you should trust your doctor or are you one of those people who likes to have surgical procedures done to get more attention, quite honestly it sounds like it.

SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

And once again the doctor should decide.....
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am no Doctor. I don't even play one on tv. So, I will leave this decision to the Dr, the parent and the child to make. :)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• ohhh and the health insurance company~cause you know they gotta have their say to ::wink::
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I was a teen and was persuaded by doctors that my pelvis was too small for childbirth...(yea right) and I ended up falling for it and having more issues later . I lost my baby girl to uterine rupture 2 yrs ago!
    I wish ppl would stop promoting major surgery. If I could do it all over again, I would have fought the doctors and tried to have natural births.
    Obviously, it is their body and their choice, but I would NEVER, especially after what I've been through, promote a cesearean unless it is a true emergency.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have a headache from these today. :)
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008