Children's Tylenol: how do you get your child to take it?

DD (4) hates taking it. She hates the taste and refuses.....we end up strapping her down and praying that she doesn't spit it up or throw it back up.

She's burning up right now and I don't know what to do.
Is there any other way to give it to her so she won't taste it? To conceal it?

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 9:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried the meltables? My now 10 yr old never ever liked any of the liquid stuff. He still hates it. When he is sick and needs medicine if its any sort of liquid he still pukes it up. As soon as his weight was enough I got the chewable tylenol and he took those just fine. Now I use the meltables on the kids and it makes my life easier.

Answer by gemgem at 9:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I should also mention we've tried the children's ibuprofen as well and it's the same resistance as the Tylenol!

CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• gemgem, do you know how old/how much they have to weigh???
    CABlonde

Comment by CABlonde (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Usually its simple math. They dont recommend it for under 2-3 because people will give them a full dose listed on back. My pediatrician said it was fine though we just cut the dose in half or used simple math to come up with the right amount to give. So lets say it says 48 lbs to 60 lbs gets 2 pills, and your child is 24 lbs, you only give them one pill. The dose is cut in half that way. Meltables is the same thing. You have to be able to do division to come up with the right amount. My pediatrician let us do this with my son simply because there was no way to get medicine down him. He needed it really bad.

Answer by gemgem at 10:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I agree with the meltables! We have the generic brand ones in our medicine cabinet right now. According to the bottle, they have to be at least 2 and/or at least 24 lbs.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• try the rapid tabs, my son likes those so much better then the liquid.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• The meltables work great.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2011