Do you live in a Prefab or Modular??

We are looking into putting a home on a piece of land. I am not very familiar with Prefab or Modular homes. I would like some honest opinions if you live in one.

How is the construction?

Any problems with your plumbing?

How is the overall quality??

Are you happy, would you buy again??

Linda1012

Asked by Linda1012 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• My Dad put a modular on a full basement on 4 acres of his farm a few yrs back and I lived in it after he passed away. It was horrible when the wind would blow. It looked like a house, he had all the normal house fixtures, windows and had 2x6 walls, but it still wasn't like a solid stick built home. So as the saying goes "you get what you pay for"... In this case it's so true. The home we bought and live in now is solid, and can't hear the wind blow, and it's not even as big, but it's better built. GL on your search.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:25 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• We have a prefaberacated home, (trailer) and its 3 bedroom, 2 bath....it's really nice, and I really like living out in the country, until ice comes in the wintertime, I live on a dead end gravel road, but other than that, we own close t 5 acres and we can do whatever and own whatever animials we want and not have to worry about someone saying something bab about it. I love living in the country and wouldn't move back to the city unless I absoultly had too!
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Oh, the 1 thing I did forget to say, is that in the wintertime, we let our cold water drip when its below freezing just to help keep the pipes open and not freeze, never had a problem with frozen pipes in the 13 years that I have lived here.
    djh0505

Answer by djh0505 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Hi Linda: I work for an architecture firm that designs site-built homes as well as modular homes. There is often confusion about the definition of MODULAR vs. MANUFACTURED homes. Even some states use the terms interchangeably. The big difference is about financing. Here's a link to the VA financing page on modular vs. manufactured (probably more detail than you wanna know!):
    http://www.vahomeloanexpress.com/pages/definition__financing_modular_vs_manufactured_homes
    In a nutshell, modular homes are typically built to IBC (Int'l Building Code) standards and are designed to be 'set' on permanent foundations. Manufactured homes are built to HUD code, and typically put on a non-permanent foundation (sometimes even wheels!). Modular homes can be financed for 30 years, manufactured homes for maybe 10-15. You can find more info on our web site: www.weeHouse.com. Our houses may not fit your 'style' but it's a start for good info! -Betsy
    AlchemistB

Answer by AlchemistB at 12:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thank's so much!!! So much great information. We spent most of the day yesterday looking at homes for sale, but we have our heart set on a piece of land that has been for sale for over a year. We are not sure if we will go for a modular or just build ourselves??? Thanks' again!!!!

Linda1012

Comment by Linda1012 (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Feb. 28, 2011