Should i be concerned??

That my 20 month old dosent really talk?? He can sort of say hi, bye, and night night....and once in a blue moon mama but thats about it....and its like pulling teeth to get him to say those.....he is a smart boy dont get me wrong....he knows what he wants and how to get it. if hes thirsty he brings us his cup, or points to what ever he wants or needs....but he just wont say much....he does babble a lot though

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I would make an appt to see his Dr. and ask for help. He is probably just behind a bit, which can be normal. I think what you're looking for is early intervention to help him with communicating. It's best to get him started now, rather than waiting for him to get to K5 because then if he's still behind it may interfere with his learning ability. Good luck!
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• he is pointing, that is wonderful!
    my child at that age did not point (did not know this was a bad sign)
    if has good eye contact, and does not seem to be obssessed with things, like lining up objects, or staring at lights or fans, he is engaging with other people and does not seek out time with himself often

sounds pretty normal
    my child has autism, but at this age was showing other signs besides lack of words
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• also
    does heplay the repeat game
    you say.."can you say BUBBLE?" and he trys to say it
    even if he doesnot get it out clearly, if he attempts the word, then reward him with excitement
    he will want to try another word when you say "can you say JUICE"

my daughter did NOT play this at all ever
    she is 3, moderate autism
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:15 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Ask your dr. He is still within normal ranges, I believe. I have an aunt who didn't talk until she was older than this and then she didn't shut up!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• perhaps he is being lazy as he is telling u by showing u things what he wants? idk, id bring it up with the dr and good luck momma x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011