is it really possible?

Im just wondering after all these posts about the war etc. if there really are people out there that do not know someone that has served over seas? I personally have a brother and SO that are in the military not to mention countless friends that serve as well. I don't see how it possible to not know someone who is serving or has served over there, but I could be wrong...what do you think?

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a lot of friends from school that are serving. Some are in bootcamp and some are joining soon. One has already been to Iraq once (he's only 20). If I had it my way they'd all be safe and sound back home...but whatever, they're getting to see the world and I'm stuck here.

I'm sure there are people that don't know anyone that's ever served. It's not as far-fetched as one might think. Depends on where you come from and what kind of family you were raised in.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It does seem a little nuts. All 3 of my grandfathers served (ones a step), 3 out of 4 of my uncles, 5 of my cousins, my DH's grandfather, one of his uncles, countless friends, and finally, my husband.

So yeah. I'm sure they're out there, but to not know at least ONE person that's ever served....weird.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Well I sort of fit that description, if you are talking about the current war and not including WWII veterans, Korean War veterans, or Vietnam veterans. I know plenty of those. But the only person I know who served overseas in recent years is my mother's best friend's son, and I've never actually met or talked to the guy, so he hardly counts as someone I know.

I sat next to a guy on a plane once a couple of years ago who was coming home for his first visit in 18 months. He hadn't slept or bathed in days, stunk to high heaven, and talked my ear off the whole flight. You could just feel his energy and excitement over being back home, and he didn't care one iota how he appeared. When we landed in Green Bay, I watched as he ran through the doors to his mother, who just sobbed and sobbed as she held him. It was a really awesome moment, and I was grateful to have witnessed it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have past family that has served, but in regards to this with Iraq, well- I must say for many many years, I knew no one that was serving. Its only been recently within the last year and a half that I knew my new SIL. She is a reservist and is due to ship out Jan 2. You never really understand the way it feels if you know noone, because to you its just a war and just a bunch of soldiers "doing what they signed up to do". When you do know one and you get the nervousness feeling, it really changes your perspective on the issue.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I believe there are a lot of people who don't, or, more to the point, aren't aware that they know someone. What I mean is, they were friends with someone in school, lost contact with them, that old friend is now serving. Or, that nice kid down the road that used to mow your grass is now serving, but you just assume they're at college or moved.

The reason I say this is because we're a military family, but where we live there is a LOT of anti military attitude, and there are a lot of people like my dd's friend and her (the friend's) family. (both girls are teens) She became friends with this girl last yr, they were in most of the same advanced classes, they got some of the best grades in their classes, worked together on projects, shared an interest in the same books, music, etc. This girl and her family are VERY anti military, but we didn't know it at first.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• cont

They assumed, because my dd was "smart and funny", that she was "one of them", because, as they made it clear when they started in with their politics, "only stupid people with on other choice or criminals" join the military. THAT'S when my dd informed her "friend" that WE are a military family, proud of it, and that SHE (my dd) is thinking of joining herself!

They had NO idea they knew anyone connected to the military. The friendship has cooled a lot - my dd was still willing to be friends, but the girl, while icy polite, avoids her whenever she can.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• This is why I encourage military families to have a service flag. (The little flags with a blue star for military service in your immediate family, gold star if your family member died while serving. Multiple stars mean multiple members - one for each Servicemember.)

This way, people who have that "it doesn't effect me" attitude will see that it does touch more of us than they know. It's that nice couple at your church, or that sweet kid down the road that graduated last spring, or that young woman that you just assumed was a single mom, when in fact her husband is deployed.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• sailorwifenmom, are there still really people out their who think that the military is only for "dumb" people? I seriously thought that we have gotten advanced enough to realize that even smart people join the military. It's pisses me off that people somehow think the military is less than college.

My cousin was in Afghanistan from 2003 until 2007. She is still in the reserves and can of course be called back any time.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My husband, both brother's, grandfather, and most of my neighborhood either is serving or has served. I don't know anyone who could possibly not have ad their lives touched by a service man/woman. God Bless America and our Troops!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008