Not sure how to handle alcoholic parents?

Both of my parents are alcoholics and I feel something needs to be done about it. I feel that they are adults and can live their lives as they please but with that right comes consequences. Not only do they drink and drive but I don't want my child growing up with grandparents who drink so much. Anyway we're all really concerned but nobody has really stepped up and said anything so I was thinking about having them over and really be stern with them. I feel like they need some kind of wake up call. I want them to know that we all love them very much but we're all tired of it. My question is...is this a good idea? My husband thinks it won't do any good but something has to be done. I especially don't want to see them kill or injure someone while drinking and driving. If I do talk to them how should I go about it? Sorry so long but I really need some advice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Health

• Have you condidered contacting a professional interventionist to help? You can't make an addict get sober. You can refuse to be a part of their lives until they do. It is hard. Believe me I know it's hard. Best wishes for you and your family in this difficult time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Hi I was raised around alcoholic parents to. It not any easy situation they have to realize they have a problem first a lot of alcoholics are indinial of them self’s. My mom finally came to the conclusion she had a problem after 23year marriage that was always alcohol involved she went to AA she realized she was hurting her kids and family I would talk to them like you planed good luck. Its not easy oh and my mom is 5years sober she the happiest I have seen her in 5years. she’s 53 years old
    Anonymous

• To GrnEyedGrandma- Good advice...thanks!

To Anonymous 9:16- Thanks for sharing your story...congrats to your mom being sober for 5 years!
    Anonymous

• I would talk to them, but it really probably wont help. they know how much of their life, time, money they spend on alcohol, this is the choice they make. you need to focus on you, make sure you don't make the same. of course set a rule no seeing kids while drinking, and no driving. i come from a long family of drinkers and abusers. my dh & I are sober. being around it forever and been to many a meetings. interventions do work. but its up to the person to 1st acknowledge they have a problem , not be told of one. I say this from exp., not to be mean. when I was a kid I saw the aftermath of 2 accidents on my dead end street caused by my Dad. I know they werent the only 1's he had.I would call the local police and tell them of the driving if you really want it to stop. unless something drastic happens, they'll probably be no change sadly.

Anonymous

• my dad was (is) the same way...and i have chosen not to have my son around that. Its hard and yeah it sucks cause i love the person he is when he is sober but that never happens anymore...my mom raised me by herself basically cause she didnt want me to be around that. i did see him growing up but it wasnt always nice...so if you feel good enough to say something to them then go for it...i wish i could!!!

ldylancer03

Answer by ldylancer03 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• To anonymous and idylancer03- Thank you very much for your stories and advice...I guess I have a lot to think about.
    Anonymous

• I have the same situation, my mom does not drink anymore, but my father still does, they are divorced. I will most certainly not leave my child alone with my father. I love him and want him to get better, but I cannot risk my babys safety.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 4:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2008