Tips for weaning my 1 year old off the breast

She turned 1 a couple of days ago, and I'm ready to start to stop breastfeeding. Thing is, everytime I try to refuse nursing (distracting her and offering food or milk in her cup) she gets really upset and cries :( and I eventually give in.. I'm not trying to stop it straight away, I was trying to avoid feeding her during the day time and let her nurse at night for now. Can I have some advice please!! Especially stories on how you weaned your older baby from the breast.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd do it a bit more gradually. Try cutting out one nursing session per week until done.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• pick a time when you will nurse. like "after we play outside we will go in and nurse" or "we're not nursing til after nap" You might consider holding off a couple more months and she will better understand time and be easier to distract. Great job nursing to 1 and not trying to quit cold turkey!
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I let mine self wean, but all those I know who weaned on their time table dropped only ONE feeding a week for two reasons. It is easier on the child and also lessens the risk of mom getting mastitis or plugged ducts. They always saved the favorite sessions (usually before bed and nap) for last. So this week drop one nursing session and then next Sunday drop another etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 11:29 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• i agree with first reply
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• My son is doing the same thing! My other two I could easily distract with play and skip feedings....but not with this little guy! He is not giving up the boob without a fight! lol I bumped your question and will be checking for answers, too!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:44 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I just let her decide when to stop. once we found some food she really liked that helped because she would rather have that than mommy. her night time feedings were the last to go and she stopped those because she was playing more during the day and just to tired to wake up.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2011