Tips for taking a 6 month on long car trip

We are driving from VA to ME (about 10 hrs) on Dec 8th. We will be leaving at night, and she sleeps through the night, so there shouldnt be many stops... but who knows. Any tips on making the trip go smoothly?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 12:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, let me tell you, just because she sleeps through the night doesn't mean she won't wake up. lol. it's different in bed than a car. if you have to make stop for gas or something, she may wake up to the door opening. just to warn you. lol, i went through this. does she take a bottle? if so, you need to get a few bottles of the water that she uses (like if you use tap, you can get the juicy juice bottles that you're done with and fill them up with the tap water) each city's water is different, so she may have a different reaction to it than what she's used to. for example, my son had diareah from hell when we went to San Antonio. so when we went to Va a couple of weeks ago, we filled bottles up with our water for the trip. if you're going to be there for a while, to get her used to the water there, you might want to split it 50/50 at first so her body can get used to it. (cont)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• make sure you have her favorite toy/whatever she likes. you can also get one of those flexible mirrors (the kind that don't break/ in the baby isle) and put it in front of her for when she is awake, that way she can look at herself, since she's rear facing and can't see you. it will keep her entertained for a bit. Diapers, Wipes (i put an extra pack in the back of the driver seat, just in case) and make sure you have a change of clothes, not in the suitcase, but out where you can get to them easily, just in case. if she's drinking juice from a sippy, i'd pack 2 sippy's, again, just in case. and don't forget a first aid kit. that's all i can think of for now, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    armywife43

• I'll probably get slammed for this but... take ear plugs, just in case. If you know she is fine and she is just screaming in protest, wear ear plugs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Bring a white noise CD to use in case she wakes in the middle of the night. She sleeps through the night at home, but it is dark and quiet there. In the car there will be gas stops, bright gas station lights, doors opening, cars honking, music and conversation between Mom and Dad.... Ahead of time map out multiple places along the way that are open 24 hours that you can stop into (coffehouses/diners are best because they are cleaner than truck stops and safer than gas stations) to give her a break from her carseat.

Assume that she will be awake the whole way, and pack accordingly. If you can leave early, do so, worst case scenario you have multiple stops and make it to your destination on time or slightly late. Best case: she sleeps the whole way and you're early.

Good luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Leaving at night wil help, but as the other poster said, being in the car is different. Be prepared to sit in back with her to keep her entertained when she's awake. That's a long time to have to sit completely still. My son did pretty well when we drove 12 hours to CA when he was 6 months, but he's never fussy anyway. I just made sure and got him out at every potty and walked around with him, it let him be in a different position even for a few minutes.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Yeah she is never fussy either. I think she will do well, but I will prepare for the worst. Thanks guys!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 1:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I took my son on a similar trip when he was 7 months, and what I wasn't prepared for was the difficulty of feeding him during the trip. Make sure to bring little snacks and LOTS of toys to distract him, and if you are having anyone else in the car with you, plan on having someone in the backseat with them for most of the trip. They get lonely otherwise.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008