Am I the only one???

I find it hard some days to play pretend with my three year old. I feel awful about it b/c she is an only child & if I dont play with her then nobody will =( she does have a very active social life full of playdates, outings & playgroups but still she spends an awful lot of time indoors these days with it being winter.

Dont judge on this if you arent one of these people then just pass this post right on by please. But sitting on the floor playing treehouse, desert, school, picnic day after day after day takes a toll on me seriously =(

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I felt the same when I lived with my brother for a year and my niece was 3. My brother was always working and my SIL was just emotional and depressed all the time and sat in her room watching movies all day. I felt terrible that my niece had no one to play with until my bro got home from work, so I'd be a princess with her, make mud pies outside, have tea parties when it rained, build forts out of blankets and furniture. That mixed in with full-time classes was definitely hard, especially when writing a paper or studying for a test and she doesn't understand that I just couldn't play right now. Fortunately, after I moved out, they moved to a place with more kids and she has plenty of people to play with. I worry that when my daughter is born and gets to be that age, I'll go through the same thing though.....
    eevers

Answer by eevers at 11:06 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Of course it does, so why do it so much or for so long? She will figure out that you don't want to be there. Since she has other opportunities for playing with other children, let her learn to play by herself. It's a good thing for her, and it will be good for you also.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• if i'm getting "bored" with playing i simply move on to my "play" cleaning the house or paying bills and my son doesn't always dig that but mommy's gotta "play" on her own so he's gotta play for a bit on his own too : )
    monstersam

Answer by monstersam at 11:02 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I would just change it up. Like look up some arts and craft projects for her age. Or have her help you make cookies. Mostly what I'm saying is have her "help" you with stuff. She will have fun and you can get out of the rut a little.
    www.familyfun.go.com
    www.dltk-kids.com
    these are both really good websites for things to do all year long including ones that are specifically for winter.
    mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 11:11 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Hey is the child in you completely missing? Any body having small kids is a boon. Forget everybody around you and get completely involved whenever your toddler wishes to play. Once your child grows up for sure you will miss all this fun...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• She plays by herself a whole heck of a lot she really honestly does. But I mean its not good to ignore her all the time too when she asks to play pretend. It's just b/c we've all been cooped up in this house for so long that her request recently have gotten more & more once spring comes she will be so busy with outdoor stuff & we play sports etc all the time outside with all the neighborhood kids. She plays by herself really well though, no lack of me making her do that lol
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Thanks ladies! We do all kinds of different things all the time since I am a SAHM I just think this feeling of ugh pretend play again is coming from cabin fever ya know lol b/c I do play with my daughter a fair amount & we do a bunch of different types of things & she gets a good amount of play by herself time & playing with others but we have just hit this wall of OMG WHEN WILL SPRING COME hahahaha
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Yes, it does....how can you find others for your child to play with? It is also okay to insist she entertain herself for a certain amount of time. You don't have to play pretend with your child....You can spend time with her in different ways that you DO enjoy....I liked reading to mine, or taking walks, etc...I didn't like playing pretend, so I didn't.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2011

• I think you will be ok when spring gets here. It's almost here.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 28, 2011