Seperation Anxiety in an almost 4 year old???

Has anyone experienced seperation anxiety with an almost 4 year old out of the blue? my son is super tough guy daredevil and it just seems odd lately. he's been in preschool for almost 2 years so being with others is nothing new and sometimes at drop off he's crying again. also if i try to go to the store, gym, run errands without him & leave him with dad, whom he loves, he is almost on the verge of panic in trying to get me to stay and not let me go. he's a super loving guy and not the typical "mama's boy" he rides dirt bikes goes off jumps goes down crazy steep hills on his bike. he hangs out with the big boys on the block riding skateboards.

any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Feb. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just keep reasuring him that you will be back
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2011

• Maybe it is just a faze he is going through.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My 4 year old has just started doing this also. Like your son, she has been in preschool for almost 2 years, and nursery school before that. She loves to go to school and has just started the crying in the morning, upset if I even go to the bathroom or go into the basement to throw the clothes in the dryer. I believe it has something to do with Kindergarten looming. In addition to her separation anxiety, she recently wet her pants 2 days in a row and last night wet the bed. She has been potty trained for a while and has never done this. I read somewhere on the internet that it can be common at this age but I still don't know exactly what to do!
    Good luck!
    Roscoesmama

Answer by Roscoesmama at 2:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2011