What do I do if my 6 month old child won't eat a new food?

I just started feeding her solid foods. We started with sweet potatoes and she gags when I feed it to her! What do I do now since I can't start a new food for 3-4 days???

tbrush

Asked by tbrush at 12:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol, my daughter hates sweet potatoes too! I just don't give them to her....why is that all you can give her for the next few days? Do you not have any other veggies in your house? Puree some yourself, its much healthier, or if you don't have a blender, then steam them till they are really really mushy, and use a little water and much them to the consistency of baby food.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Just feed her cereal I have never heard of the 3-4 day rule I always only did one day my peadiatriacian said if a food hasn't caused a reaction in that amount of time it won't because it has been purged from the body. But if you go with that rule just feed her cereal until then.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• try another one thats all you can do. go back to sweet potatos later. its a new thing for her so chance are the first couple times shes going to think its wierd.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Either don't give her anything for a few days, or give her something that she has had before.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I knew about the 3-4 day rule, but didn't really follow it. If it makes you feel better document that you gave it to her watch her for reactions and just try something else. OR...did you give her the sweet potatoes straight? If you did, mix it in the cereal. That's a flavor and texture she's used to. Just put a little in at first and gradualy add more as you go. My Pediatrician actually had us always mix the veggeis and fruits in with cereal (at least twice a day) until my son started table foods. He said this way he was always getting all of his vitamins since the cerals are fortified.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Also, always reintroduce a food if they don't like it. Eventually they might. It may take 15 introductions, but on that 15th time they might love it!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• She could just be making faces because it is new, and with time she'll actually like them. My son would gag and make faces with everything so I talked to my pediatrician about it and she said that as long as he isn't spitting it out after each bite, he probably doesn't mind the taste, and the faces are just a natural reaction to something new.

If you want to wait the 3/4 days, you can make a small bowl of baby cereal with a spoonful of sweet potato mixed in, then over the next few days increase the amount of sp you mix in, to slowly intriduce her to the flavor.

If she truely doesn't like them now, I would try again in a few months, her tastes may change once she's exposed to more flavors. Some of the foods my son hated at 6 months are his favorites at 14 months...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Don't give it to her. Babies listen very well to their bodies at this age, she may not be ready for solids or just not like this solid. Go back to another solid you've already tried or simply don't give her solids for a few days. Babies really don't need solids as much as they need their milk. This stage of "eating" is for experimentation and fun--not nutrition.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 12:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son gagged on EVERY new food I gave him until he was almost 9 months old. It was just a very strong gag reflex, and he eventually got over it. Don't push too hard, the baby's body might just not be quite ready for those types of food yet. Try one bite, if they gag, let it go. I know it ends up wasting an awful lot of food, but its the only way to know when they are ready.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008